Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2008 Mobius LSV ballast upgrade?

Hello all,

A good friend of mine has a 2008 Mobius LSV that I am fortunate enough to ride behind. It only has the factory Gravity I, center tank ballast, and he is wanting to upgrade. Actually, he is wanting me to do the upgrade...fortunately, I'm mechanically inclined and have a descent shop and tools. So, I'm wanting to do it right the first time which is why I'm here. I've seen a couple of posts with guys doing similar upgrades but I'm hoping to get a lot of feedback / point of views of whats the best way to go and why. Here's what we're after:
    A factory clean look (switches, connections, etc)
    2 bags in the back and maybe a "V" bag up front
    Quick, strong, and dependable

I've been hearing about guys doing it one way only to change it later. Others liking or not liking their setup. I'm hoping to get it right the first time.

So, any direction on the following would be much appreciated:

Bag types and size (I hear some guys put 750's in the rear and others putting 1100's)
    Pumps?? flow size, diameter, reversable?
    hoses, connections, etc..
    where to get supplies from?

Also, and quite important, how much can I plan on spending?

Thanks!

If you surf at all get 1100 rear bags. Starting from scratch (which G1 is basically) I'd get reversible pumps with 1" lines. Definitely get the bow sac.

www.wakemakers.com
    Last edited by brain_rinse; 08-05-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Hello Ninedriver and welcome to the forms.

Your best form on how to set this up would be 08LSV's posting of GIII upgrade to Johnson Pumps Linked below. If i did mine again I would do a thru haul fitting per pump and 1 inch lines. I got all of my stuff from Wakemakers.com. Good guys to deal with and they have a lot of information they will share with you on this.

The price really depends on the size of the bags you want to put in. For the pumps, switches, wires, hoses and fittings you are looking at around $850. This does not include the bags. The bags will cost you around $500++ depending on the size.

Hope this helps.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....-Johnson-Pumps
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Hi
    I installed 2 Johnson reversibel pumps for the rear bags and drilled 2 holes 1" thru hull. Bought the pumps and switches from wakemakers. I am really happy with the setup and it was a easy job to do. Run the vent lines to the opposite side so the bags doesnt drain when filled. I bought 750 bags but would put 1100 if i had to do this again.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    If you surf at all get 1100 rear bags. Starting from scratch (which G1 is basically) I'd get reversible pumps with 1" lines. Definitely get the bow sac.

www.wakemakers.com

2nd on this option, simpler,easier to install, cleaner installation, less pumps.

2nd this also--if your surfing, vent the vents to the opposit side
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Thanks for the quick replies and info!
    Sounds like reversible pumps, one thru hull per pump and 1" lines are the way to go.

Also, since I plan on surfing, I should go with the 1100lb sacks.. Is there room in the 08 lsv lockers for 1100#er's? Also, is there any structural problems going that big in each locker?

And can someone further explain why to vent the vents to opposite sides?

Thanks again. Seems like a lot of great guys and info on here.

Quote Originally Posted by ninedriver View Post
    And can someone further explain why to vent the vents to opposite sides?

When surfing the boat is leaned over, with it venting on the same side the water will slowly drain down to the level of the vent. if you cross vent to the opposite side that vent is a good 6" higher than the full bag--more water weight stays in the bag.

that help ?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Plenty of room for 1100s to fill. Eventually the engine divider may bow from the weight. You can tolerate it, add an extra hinge, or add varying levels of aluminum reinforcement, all depending on your level of concern.

I went reversibles/1" as well... I have a spreadsheet of the various options vs cost, flow rate, etc.

Also I've got the 1100 bags for sale:
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ter-rear-sacks
    2008 Mobius XLV | 325HP | Acme 1235| lots of ballast!

Thanks for the replies. The clarification on the venting helps a lot, thanks. Good to know there's plenty of room for the 1100's as well. Are a lot of guys adding hinges and/or reinforcements to prevent issues?

Also, xBabyJesus, if you don't mind, I'd like to see your spreadsheet with the options and cost. That would definitely help me with the planning phase.

Thanks again!