Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Had it with blowing tires

I've owned my 07 LSV for about 1 yr. now and I've blown 4 tires and I'm done. I'll never buy tires from goodyear again. Last labor day I blew two tires and they were the only place open and they ended up selling me tires load rated at 1500#'s. now I've blow more tires and screwed up both fenders. I live in Arizona so temperature plays in along with speed on tire derating. I've been doing research on going to a 15" rim and going to a load rating E which is 2800# per tire vs 1500#. I would have to go to a 225/75r15 which is ~28" in diameter, which will be a close fit. The other option is a 205/75r15 with 2150# load rating but is 27" in diameter which will fit without modifing the fender. Has anybody done this swap or something close?

Thanks
    David
    2007 Moomba LSV

I just forwarded this link on to a buddy of mine in the tire biz. Hopefully he can get you on the right path!

You aren't the only guy having problems with blowouts. I have been selling tires for more than 10 years and have had quite a bit of experience with trailer tires. What size tire are you currently running? I would be happy to get you a quote on some ST tires you can count on.

Peter

I had one blowout and i just replaced all 4 of my tires then. My main problem with trailer tires is I seem to just chew up in the inside edge. I've been running my tires for 2 1/2 seasons now and the inside edge is almost bald on a couple of them and I don't even tow that much. I'm going to have to dismount them and flip them all over this off season.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I had one blowout and i just replaced all 4 of my tires then. My main problem with trailer tires is I seem to just chew up in the inside edge. I've been running my tires for 2 1/2 seasons now and the inside edge is almost bald on a couple of them and I don't even tow that much. I'm going to have to dismount them and flip them all over this off season.

Sent from my iPhone
    Same thing here only I have single axle. But noticed that on one side in particular I have a tire with inside edge completely bald. I was thinking the axle might be just off center enough to create a problem? I haven't dug into the investigation yet. I was thinking maybe the hole where the axle bolts on to the trailer had been a bit too big and allowed for some movement? It wouldn't take but an 1/8 inch to cause issues??
    Sounds like this may be a bigger issue than an isolated case or 2? For those that don't trailer but to put the boat in for the season and take it out at the end it would never even show up? But for those of us that trailer a couple hundred miles every outing it becomes a PITA!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I only trailer like 500 miles a year and its a PITA. I hear sometime the spindles bend if you hit a bump to hard and that causes negative camber. I just can't imagine any of the bumps I hit being hard enough to bend a spindle. The whole load only weighs 5,000 lbs which is about the same as my truck and my truck hits stuff way harder than the trailer ever does. You would think the suspension would be strong enough to take normal road conditions. And I BABY my boat trailer when I'm towing.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by detipton View Post
    I've owned my 07 LSV for about 1 yr. now and I've blown 4 tires and I'm done. I'll never buy tires from goodyear again. Last labor day I blew two tires and they were the only place open and they ended up selling me tires load rated at 1500#'s. now I've blow more tires and screwed up both fenders. I live in Arizona so temperature plays in along with speed on tire derating. I've been doing research on going to a 15" rim and going to a load rating E which is 2800# per tire vs 1500#. I would have to go to a 225/75r15 which is ~28" in diameter, which will be a close fit. The other option is a 205/75r15 with 2150# load rating but is 27" in diameter which will fit without modifing the fender. Has anybody done this swap or something close?

Thanks
    David
    Did one original tire blow, then the 3 new replacements blew or did all 4 of the original tires blow out in the time since you picked up the boat?

There are 3 common causes of trailer tire failures, outside of road hazards, and I will list them in the order I think they are the most common cause:
    1) age - 5 years old, based on the Julian date stamped into the tire mold, and they are done, replace them. Tires will dry rot over time and come apart with no warning. Theres a good chance the tires on your 07 trailer were already 2 years old before the trailer manufacturer put them on.

2) low tire pressure - This will wear out the sidewall from the inside, as well as overheat the tire, resulting in tread separation.

3) speed - I dont know too many people that tow at the recommended trailer/tire speed. Most, me included, cruise along with the flow if traffic, which can easily be 5-10 MPH above the posted speed limit on the open hiway. This can result in tread separation.

So before you jump to new wheels, figure out the root cause. Probably too late to see the manufacture date of the originals now.

Don't forget about heat. It can speed up the destruction when any of the 3 above are considerations. Add a super hot day/highway and it's all over.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I had really good luck with Maxxis tires on my last trailer (M8008 ST Radial I believe). I trailer probably 4,000 miles per year. Given the research you've done, I assume your tires were always properly inflated? I like Good Year everywhere but on trailers.
    Last edited by uniwarking; 08-19-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

The original size is 225/75r14. Goodyear sold me standard load rated tires. Lessen learned now. Like I mentioned I live in Arizona and drive ~125 miles to the lake and drive about 65-70 mph and it is 105f outside. The last two tires were last weekend and the previous two were the originals from the previous owner which were old most likely last october.
    Last edited by detipton; 08-19-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    2007 Moomba LSV