Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prop help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Worlds22SSV View Post
    I still claim i have never bent a prop and been driving a boat for 20+years since my wife bent this one!! she doesnt like me very much right now. It is absolutely able to be fixed, mine is being repaired and will have it back this weekend. You can probably find someone local but check up and make sure they are reputable. If not send it to Nettles in Austin, TX.
    Anyone know what a prop repair would cost? Of course I realize that it depends on how bad it is, but as a general idea???
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Should be about $100-$250 probably depending how much work they have at the time
    2008 22SSV Worlds

Default Re: Prop help!!

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post

1. Is this prop fixable?
    2. Who do I contact to fix it?
    3. Do you guys carry a second prop (and puller) on trips to the lake?
    My first prop in need of repair looked like that, easily fixed. My second prop looked way worse and still really fixed. Used Nettle props both times, probably about 150-200 with shipping factored in.

I do carry a prop and puller if not at my normal lake, if at my home lake I don't because it's faster to go home and have my full set of tools. Of course I only carry a spare because I have one, glad you were able to get it off.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    ...Used Nettle props both times, probably about 150-200 with shipping factored in.
    That's good to hear, wasn't too excited about dropping another $500+ for a new one!

...glad you were able to get it off.
    Not yet, I think I gave my prop puller away when I sold my old Schiada, a few boats back. I may need to invest in one, but they couldn't have gone up that much. (famous last words, here goes the zipper! I can tell)

Eric.

Default Re: Prop help!!

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    That's good to hear, wasn't too excited about dropping another $500+ for a new one!

Not yet, I think I gave my prop puller away when I sold my old Schiada, a few boats back. I may need to invest in one, but they couldn't have gone up that much. (famous last words, here goes the zipper! I can tell)
    Sorry, the get the prop off comment was for World's

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    Sorry, the get the prop off comment was for World's
    Now I am going to look real dumb if I cant find my puller...I better put the beer down... oh look! an ice chest with left overs from the weekend!!!

Eric.

I got the basic 2 arm puller from harbor freight for $20, it comes in a 3 pack you will use the 6" one. I replaced the bolts with grade 8 as the bolts broke but my prop was jammed because of the key.
    2008 22SSV Worlds

[QUOTE=Worlds22SSV;226419]I got the basic 2 arm puller from harbor freight for $20, ...[quote]

Thanks for the tip, that will probably be the cheapest thing I have bought for my boat yet!

We don't have too many weekends left as the lakes seem to keep dropping around here. If I'm not getting any noticeable vibration from the prop, is it alright to keep using it until the season ends? Otherwise I would need to buy another one now.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Worlds22SSV View Post
    It's OFF!!! with no obvious damage. After yesterday wasn't sure it was going to happen when the puller cut 2 bolts in half, so got some grade 8 bolts today and was only putting moderate pressure on the puller about ready to apply the torch and boom shoots off. The key was sheared in half, one half in the prop and the other half in the shaft.
    Good to hear man. I can't believe the key broke so cleanly. I'm glad you fixed the puller and gave it a second try.

The guy who's prop I showed you earlier used a 10 ton puller and bent the ears trying to pull his prop and it looked just like yours.

Now it's off, it will be an easy fix for someone with the right pitch blocks.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

[QUOTE=EricU;226421][QUOTE=Worlds22SSV;226419]I got the basic 2 arm puller from harbor freight for $20, ...

Thanks for the tip, that will probably be the cheapest thing I have bought for my boat yet!

We don't have too many weekends left as the lakes seem to keep dropping around here. If I'm not getting any noticeable vibration from the prop, is it alright to keep using it until the season ends? Otherwise I would need to buy another one now.
    I am not qualifed to give advice about running your prop bent, but i've known plenty that run for quite a while with chips out of the blades. and just cause you can't feel vibration doesnt mean the shaft/Vdrive isn't dampening some of it.
    2008 22SSV Worlds