Thread: Leak

Default Leak

I'm experiencing a lot of water leaking into my 99 outback. I've fully inspected the hull from the outside and see no suspicious places for a leak. I'm assuming that the water is coming in around the propshaft seal. What's the best approach to fix this? Should I look for a dealer to replace the seal? Is there a grease fitting or something that I can pump grease into?

Along the same lines, I'm experiencing an intermitten loud squeeling noise. It sounds like something metal on metal is slipping, yet I notice no difference in RPMs. Are there bearings in the propshaft seal? Is it possible the bearings are freezing up and slipping within the hull seal. Maybe that's the cause of my water leak.
    Bruce Vanderbilt

Default Me too

If you remove the engine cover hinges, and the floor board behind the engine ( 4 screws) you can get to teh shaft seal. loosen the locking bolt with the boat in teh water. Tighten the seal until you get about 2 to 5 drops of water a minute. ( needed for lubrication) then tighten the locking bolt.

I have had the same problem, and it seams i need to adjust the seal 3 or 4 times a year ( 99 Outback LS)

Hope it helps!

Default LEAKS !!!

I have had the same problem. We have to adjust about twice a season. Eventually you will not be able to tighten the nut anymore and will have to have a new seal put in. I spoke with the dealer in Nashville and they said that it is very inexpensive.

Default Leak under Driver console

Looking over this discussion on "leaks". I have a 99 Mobius and it seems to leak under the Drivers Console?

Before exploring, I thought I would ask if this is where your leak was showing.

Rob

Default Leak under Driver console

Looking over this discussion on "leaks". I have a 99 Mobius and it seems to leak under the Drivers Console?

Before exploring, I thought I would ask if this is where your leak was showing.

Rob

Default Leaks continued

It turned out the leak was from the drive shaft. I tightened it up and the leak stopped. Unfortunately, it worked itself loose within about 6 hours of riding. I'll try to make it even tighter next time and see if that helps.
    Bruce Vanderbilt