Default LEDs in Exile XM9s...

I've had a ton of people ask me how I did it, so I thought I'd post some pictures.

First things first, I use 5050 SMD RGB led strips that I cut to length.

I use these plugs;
    http://bit.ly/1ba70jg

So, I take the speaker apart, drill a hole through the speaker surround between 2 of the screw holes, this is so you can route the LED wire through the hole.

Affix the LEDs along the inside of the xm9 grill;

Drill another hole in the pod, about an inch from the clamp collar, this is to run your 4 pin connector through.

I used a hot glue gun to seal the holes, but any type of epoxy or thick glue should work.

I then drilled a hole in the tower to route the other end of the 4 pin connector through;

I used telephone wire to run through the tower, mostly because its very small and easy to run;
    2013 Outback V

2013 Outback V

Looks pretty good Ian.
    One question I have tho is will they work with swivel clamps the way you have it? I don't see how it would? I would think the LEDs would have to be part of the wiring in the clamp? Just wondering..........

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Looks pretty good Ian.
    One question I have tho is will they work with swivel clamps the way you have it? I don't see how it would? I would think the LEDs would have to be part of the wiring in the clamp? Just wondering..........
    The swivels work, but the LEDs being connected limits the amount of rotation. If the plug is disconnected rotation is not restricted.

I never face my speakers any direction but back, so that wasn't a concern for me.

Modifying the clamp to allow 4 additional wires to pass through the center without disrupting the speaker connection would be a chore!
    2013 Outback V

Ian - I noticed that the wiring comes thru the crossbar. is there a hole in the tubing where the crossbar is welded?
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Nope, I had to drill a hole through the down tune, then into the crossbar. I used a $.20 black plastic plug from Ace Hardware and its virtually invisible.
    2013 Outback V

im wanting to do this, looking to order some strips tonight but im not home to measure my speakers, do you remember roughly how long the strips in led's were?
    07 Gravity Games Edition XLV
    -EXiled Out System Amps,Sub,Speakers,etc.. Modified Gravity III Ballast, Blue Leds Throughtout boat, still more to come!

02 Moomba LSV "SOLD"

Tow Rig-12' F150 Ecoboost-leveled/intake

About 30" - I didn't measure and cut, I just bought a roll, wrapped around and cut.
    2013 Outback V

Was that 30" for all four speaker? I couldn't imagine each speaker being 30"..lol