Thread: gauge issues

Default gauge issues

Hey guys, long time no post. Been hangn at the Malibucrew. Being that no one has been able to help me there, which is surprising. I thought I would see if you guys know.

2002 VLX wakesetter is my ride. Have the medllion guages & MDC 1600.

My gauges work, but they are wrong. Oil pressure works fine till we shut the boat off, then the rest of the day it shows half of a what a mechanical gauge shows when hooked up, so I know the motor is fine. Temp is also off showing 175, my laser thermo shows a constant 156-158 when shooting into the threads where the temp sensor is. Connections are fine so far that I have traced. Suddenly my Tach decided to take a shit & is stuck at 3k rpm. Taking the dash apart tonight & using the multi meter.

I have already cleaned the canon plug, like I said connections at sensors seem fine. Starting to think my MDC needs to be replaced? But everyone says their gauges are dead when the MDC is shot? Wondering if any of you can guide me here?

I would check your ground connections. Start at the battery, then the motor ground strap. Since the ground is common to the gauges, check that too. If that all checks, you are probably looking at a new MDC.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

When I bought my 2000 Outback LS the tach was stuck at 5K and the hour meter would not advance. Oil pressure gauge was pegged zero as well as the water temp. Primary speedo didn't move either. Replaced the MDC1600 for around $200 direct from Medallion along with the tach. Ended up 3 months later replacing every other gauge partly for cosmetic reasons (new tach made the old sun faded gauges look HORRIBLE) but also to get the water and oil gauges working. There is nothing to test behind the dash, the gauges all run off of a digital signal (grey wire). Only thing you can do is unplug the neighbor gauge and use it's connector to test the connectors. If you need contact information at Medallion, PM me and I'll be happy to share. MDC is stock item off the shelf, gauges are custom made based on your EXACT part number and take 3-6 weeks. They are super busy right now with new product launches too...

I also have some documentation that Scott gave me from Medallion to get clean 12V+ and clean ground to the MDC. He said that was the biggest contributor to faulty/inoperative gauges.
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!

Man, my hour meter's been stuck too. But I'm blaming the crappy weather.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Man, my hour meter's been stuck too. But I'm blaming the crappy weather.
    Agreed... its August 16th and the high is supposed to be 68. I had planned to install a heater and hot shower before the end of the season, appears like I'm behind the 8 ball already. Ugh.
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!

Thunderstorms every day for the next 10 days here. Uggghhh.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

It's funny you mention the weather, I have heard & I have blamed the unusual humidity we have been having here with the monsoon season that doesn't seem to end. I am pretty confident it is the MDC now, I pushed on some wires & flicked the unit & shit worked for a bit then the tach stopped again. All the other gauges work, they are just off. Tach is dead though. Hour meter seems to work? PP works fine but the speedometer stopped working then I shut off & restarted & it worked. I am starting to hate my boat, just like the exterior & sound system I have