Question DIY Accent LED's Help

So I have been looking around this forum trying to find something on wiring up some accent LED's to the empty ACC switch I have in the cluster of switches on my dash. I recently bought some Ultra Mini Pre-Wired Marine LED Flood Lights from http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-floodlight. From my understanding they come prewired with resistors to make them work with any 12V system. My question is how do I wire them in to the ACC switch. I would know how to do it if the switch didn't have a breaker/fuse attached and crossed over to the switch beside it. Can anyone help me? Ill post pictures once I figure out what to do and get them installed. Thanks, Brandon

Default DIY Accent LED's Help

Post the pictures and I'll be able to help you out. Should be real simple. Depending how it is set up you will just wire in on the fuze distribution panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LED bezzel.jpgPush Button Switch.jpgWest Marine Bus Bar.jpgbcline - I installed a push button switch to the dashboard area near the 12volt auxiliary receptacle. It controls the LED lights I added to each cup holder. I ran a separate circuit for the LEDs, which required a dedicated bus bar. So far, have three LEDs installed. Have three more to go, which will wait until this fall to complete. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Get yourself a cheap volt meter and start messing with it. You'll figure out your issue faster than someone on here can explain it and you'll build a skill that will without a doubt help you in the future.

Thanks guys, I've already bought a volt meter cause I figured it would come in handy down the line. I was just seeing if I could get any hints and tips on here. I'm going to try to wire them up this week before the last warm weekend of the summer. I'll take pictures and post them. I'm thinking about using a bus hub with one fuse to make the wiring easy since I'll have between 6-10 LED locations.

Quote Originally Posted by bcline2012 View Post
    So I have been looking around this forum trying to find something on wiring up some accent LED's to the empty ACC switch I have in the cluster of switches on my dash. I recently bought some Ultra Mini Pre-Wired Marine LED Flood Lights from http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-floodlight. From my understanding they come prewired with resistors to make them work with any 12V system. My question is how do I wire them in to the ACC switch. I would know how to do it if the switch didn't have a breaker/fuse attached and crossed over to the switch beside it. Can anyone help me? Ill post pictures once I figure out what to do and get them installed. Thanks, Brandon
    Yes, those are 12V ready LEDs. All they need is a ground and switched 12v.

There are likely 2 wires jumping from one switch to the next. 1 is the small ground for the switch illumination, so ignore this one and ground your lights to an actual boat ground. 2nd is more than likely the 12V for each switch. If thats the case, then the breaker for that switch is down stream on the load side of the switch, not the supply. That breaker needs to be of appropriate for the LEDs and the cable gauge supplying them.

To determine what is what, use that meter. With the switch off, probe the back to see what wire has battery voltage. Then turn the switch on and see what wire is the switched output. Next, go to the breaker. It should have voltage on both sides with the switch on and no voltage with the switch off. Now, unplug one of the wires from the breaker and see which of the 2 wires comes from the switch. This wire feeds the breaker, so the other is for the lights. Again, you dont want a breaker thats too large for the lights and wiring.