Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Craz or Helix for better wave?

Hey everyone, brand new here, getting ou first boat, and debating between getting the new Helix or the Craz. I will be putting in the larger sacks and want the one that makes the best surf wave. I can't seem to find any wave reviews, probably because the Helix is so new. Will the Craz make a good wave with the larger sacks?

Thanks for any help ... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PCDan View Post
    Hey everyone, brand new here, getting ou first boat, and debating between getting the new Helix or the Craz. I will be putting in the larger sacks and want the one that makes the best surf wave. I can't seem to find any wave reviews, probably because the Helix is so new. Will the Craz make a good wave with the larger sacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Outback

Quote Originally Posted by lafranca1 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/MoombaBoats...3971621229232/

2001 Outback

Default Re: Craz or Helix for better wave?

Like how he says factor ballast...........and some lead...
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by PCDan View Post

I replied to your question in the other thread, but here it is again.

Yep, definitely get the auto surf if you're getting a 2017. You'll need to upgrade the rear bags to 1100's for sure, so negotiate that as part of the deal.

I've put 95 hrs on my craz so far this summer. What I've fount to work best is about 3400-4200 lbs of ballast depending on crew size. We rode this afternoon with a crew of 5 and roughly 4200 lbs of water ballast. I've found that any more weight than that doesn't really improve the wave. We always favor one passenger to surf side. I haven't ridden the helix, but I would imagine it has a bit less potential because it is a shorter boat.

I should add that we still have lots of freeboard even with that much weight. Oh and the wave is great too!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    I replied to your question in the other thread, but here it is again.

Yep, definitely get the auto surf if you're getting a 2017. You'll need to upgrade the rear bags to 1100's for sure, so negotiate that as part of the deal.

I've put 95 hrs on my craz so far this summer. What I've fount to work best is about 3400-4200 lbs of ballast depending on crew size. We rode this afternoon with a crew of 5 and roughly 4200 lbs of water ballast. I've found that any more weight than that doesn't really improve the wave. We always favor one passenger to surf side. I haven't ridden the helix, but I would imagine it has a bit less potential because it is a shorter boat.

I should add that we still have lots of freeboard even with that much weight. Oh and the wave is great too!

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you get up to 4200 lbs of water ballast with 2 rear sacks at only 1100 lbs each?

I put a 250 under the bow filler cushion and a 600 on the floor in front of the rear seat. Next season I'll definitely be using lead or steel under the bench seats instead.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

if it was my coin, I'd take the longer boat over a shorter boat anyday. 22-23ft seems to be the sweet spot for surfboats.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    if it was my coin, I'd take the longer boat over a shorter boat anyday. 22-23ft seems to be the sweet spot for surfboats.
    Agree. It's amazing how much bigger each foot is over the size below. Even after having my craz I get in a mojo here and there and am surprised how much bigger that feels with only an extra foot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Everyone I've talked to that surf behind Helix says that there is a massive wake and it happens to be widest boat in moomba boats line up @102 " my dealer has personally surf behind a helix and said the wake is just as good if not better than any of the big boats. he's just not trying to sell me about he's a personal friend of mine ... I take his word for it
    Last edited by Pipeliner07; 09-07-2016 at 08:52 AM.