Default Perfect pass when surfing

On my 09 XLV I only have presets for wakeboarding and skiing on my perfect pass. So when I try to surf it takes the boat a long time to lock in on the speed. In fact some times it will say it is locked on as soon as I give it throttle then it will slowly get up to the 10.5 that we have it set on. Is there a fix for this? I'm running a paddle wheel so I'm guessing the fix is the gps based system but I just wanted to see what other had found. We have figured out if we set the speed at 14 it seems to get there right away and lock the speed in but then we have to slow the speed down on the dash to get back down to 10.5.
    2009 MOOMBA XLV 23
    1996 MB SPORTS BOSS 210
    1992 CARAVELLE FISH&SKI 1750

I have the same PP wakeboard Pro on my 08 XLV. It does fine. I've found that because I boat in a river with currents, that the GPS wouldn't be a good fit for me.

There are settings you can access that influence how the PP operates KW and NN. Email or call Perfect pass and they will help you with setting these to optimize how your PP performs. they determine how 'agressively' the PP will try to get to and hold the speed.

One thing I've found that is VERY important for how quickly the boat will get to speed/plane and how quickly we can get the wave to form is where the rudder is turned when you hit the throttle, and how aggressively you come out of the hole. I always make sure that the rudder is pointed straight and it makes a huge difference in the hole shot. Likewise, if I have an experienced surfer and can give them a more aggressive hole shot, it also helps getting to the sweet spot easier and sooner with speed and wave formation.

But I would call/email PP and have them help you through optimizing the settings for KW and NN.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

We have PP with GPS and use the wakeboard mode for surfing. Once it's in a good controlled state, then it is solid but I think we experience what you are describing. It sort of "takes control" (when it beeps) but the control loop isn't quite stable so it either overshoots the desired speed (usually about 1mph, or more when wakeboarding) and then slowly decreases to the set point or it slowly climbs up to the right speed (sometimes even saying "more throttle") like you describe. During this stabilization time, the PP control is very sensitive to changes in the throttle position; for example it might "lurch" a little if you add more throttle knowing that you didn't give it enough. It will also struggle to stabilize quickly if we have to start in a turn like trayson described, which requires more throttle and then significantly less when you straighten out.

I wouldn't consider any of this a problem, I think it's just the reality of a difficult control loop problem. With a bit of experience, I've been able to minimize these side-effects: I try to imagine how I would operate the throttle if I didn't have PP and then add just "a little extra" so that it has the necessary play in the throttle to operate. For example, I know that we typically run around 3000-3100 rpm, so I pull the rider up how they want and then I smoothly and quickly aim the throttle to about 3200 rpm which seems to get up to speed quickly without terribly overshooting the desired speed but we like this method better than using too little throttle and then trying to "add more" as PP is trying to take over and stabilize.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Take a look at this:

KDW, NN – These background adjustable settings allow you to tailor the pull characteristics of WakeboardPro. To access, highlight Menu Key , and press up to highlight Wakeboard mode. When Wakeboard is highlighted, press Down Key and the following screen will appear:

KDW (Throttle Pull Rate) – KDW can be changed using up or down keys. The higher the value, the more aggressive the control. Heavy boats may need higher values. Factory setting is about 80. Normal range is 80 – 200.

NN (Paddle wheel Filter Factor) – NN is set at about 120. The higher the value the more filtering is done. If you feel you boat is surging a little too much, raise value by 20 or 30. If you feel the speed is slowly drifting around too much, try a lower value to tighten control.

CS is a control parameter for the Wakeboard speed based modes. This adjustable parameter allows you to tune the engagement of the system so it is ideal for your boat. Heavily weighted boats may need a higher CS to engage and control properly. Factory value on WakeboardPro is about 735.
    Example:
    1. You are set for 22 mph, but system overshoots and goes to 26 mph before settling back. CS should be lowered. (Try adjustments of 20 at a time).
    2. You are set for 23 mph, but boat will not get to 23 mph and engage.
    CS must be raised to allow for a faster engagement point.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...fkzJ-ZfTut99GA
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

here is the reply I got from perfect pass. seems similar to what Trayson just posted.

The setting you want to adjust is the CRS. You access it by pressing the MENU and UP keys and go into the CONTROL SETTINGS. As you decrease the number the system will engage at a lower RPM. From your description it sound like you need to lower the number. Try reducing it in increments of 50 and test. You'll find a number that works for your setup without to much work. You may also find that that number may not work great for the 20+ mph speeds. So may need to switch it back when doing WakeBoarding.
    2009 MOOMBA XLV 23
    1996 MB SPORTS BOSS 210
    1992 CARAVELLE FISH&SKI 1750

I just replaced my paddlewheel system with the Nautic Laugic http://www.nauticlaugic.com/nl4-sc%20packages.html a couple of weeks ago out of necessity.

Even with that you still need to go into the PP and re-calibrate the speed and possibly the other pieces described above. I used the DBW manual that Trason posted above and it worked perfectly. I think the answer is to go into system and make those changes before trying to switch to GPS. I found the wheel and GPS to be very similar in their performance. The GPS is good but you will be spending about $250 plus removing the entire floor of your boat to hook up the new system.

As far as getting up I use the throttle to get speed up to meet where the PP is set. Rather than hitting it fairly hard to start with I have it set so I have a lot of control for the initial speed rather than let the PP do it for me. The reason for this is that we have a huge variation of people we pull. We pull everyone from a 6' 5" guy on a single slalom ski to small kids learning surfing. Each one of them and everyone between needs different throttle to get up. I can be aggressive on the throttle when needed or take it up more slowly.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap