Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Surfing a Supra 21V - anybody have experience?

So I made a new friend while selling my boat, he had contacted me about buying my boat. He was looking for newer, but we started sharing boats we were finding (since I was also in the market) and became friends. He ended up buying a 06 21V about the same time I bought my LSV.

I went riding with him last weekend behind his Supra. The wakeboard wake was great, very similar to my old Launch. The surf wake however was terrible. I was shocked, but we could not get it to be even acceptable. We had 1200 under the bow, 750 in rear. We then added 650 on top of left seats. We then emptied the bow to about 400. None of it was good. Wakeplate wasn't working, but it was stuck at 50% and that's where I had it on my old Launch while surfing.

Anybody ever had a good experience surfing a 21V and can recommend a good setup? I've literally never been in a ski or wake boat that I couldn't make have a decent surf wake, including old boats from the 80s I've surfed before with a few fat sacks strewn about.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

I would love to see what people say because I have an '08 21V and agree surfing on it is terrible. I haven't spent much time trying to fine tune it but I am very interested if anyone has thoughts.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

The 21v just doesn't surf all that well from everything I've read or heard, but we make it work. The best we've found without piling a bunch of ppl in the boat is. 750 in the back left, 650 in the playpen,400 on the surf side seats,and about 150-200 lbs in the back right. I was a skeptic if adding weight to the opposite side but I did it while my brother was surfing and he said it added a little bit more push to the wake. It's hard to get the 21v to lean to one side, a 750 in the corner of my old lsv would really get the boat leaning. A 750 on one side of the 21v barely leans the boat over. I guess that's what makes it such a solid hull for wakeboarding. After everything we've tried the 21v still does not surf as well as our LSV did with a 750 on the surf side and 400 full in the ski locker.
    Last edited by bzubke1; 08-14-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

I'd say cut back in the 1200 up front
    I have '011 21v
    I have fact 650 up front and 650 in left rear.
    It's surf able to me.
    Had a extra full boat this weekend and was better but also had bow full and that made wave long but not as big. I have extra 450 I keep saying ill make into a mobile bag but haven't had the time.
    I run around 11mph and wake plate at 50%
    This doesn't show greatest view but shows its rideable
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376539003.660367.jpg
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I almost spent $10k more on a 21V instead of my LSV, this all makes me so glad I didn't lol.

bzub I tried also partially filling the right bag to no avail. I thought that maybe it needed more in the back.

04outback, your's looks maybe a little bigger than what we had and a little bit cleaner, but not much (as best as I can tell from a pic). Your wake looks washy just like the one we had. I couldn't get it to clean up, and at one point I had a very similar setup to what you run when we emptied a bunch of water out of the bow.

I'm tellin ya, It's just so crazy because I've never had this kind of trouble getting a surf-able wake. I should mention that I was able to surf it, but I'm a relatively experienced wakesurfer and can keep up with not much wake. Just because I could ride on the wave doesn't mean it was good, it was terrible and it still blows my mind! I love Supra, but this made me very upset

No doubt the 21v hull isn't the most optimum surf hull. But it is surf able and can be optimized.
    On suggestion is check speedo calibration to ensure speed

But. The 21v hull was designed to be a solid wake for Wakeboarding.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Just my 2 cents, last weekend we had 8 people out and with the stock G3 bags on the driver side rear locker and the center locker both full and the wakeplate all the way down we were able to get what I thought was an ok wave. You just have to tinker with it until it gets where you want it.

Do keep in mind that this boat was not designed entirely for surfing so there are some drawbacks if that is al that you want.
    2011 Supra 21V
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    Wetsounds Icon8's

The hull geometry looks very similar to my 2000 Launch. I was able to get a pretty good surf wake out of that boat, not nearly as good as my LSV but significantly better than the 21V.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout_58 View Post
    Do keep in mind that this boat was not designed entirely for surfing so there are some drawbacks if that is al that you want.
    Seems like the boat wasn't designed for surfing at all if it's this hard to get a decent surf wake.

The 21v was possibly SC best wake hull until the SA came out. It was definitely in the top 3. It's a wake boat way before it's a surf boat.

With that being said, I have surfed a 21v and agree with most of the comments above. Try it without the bow weight and confirm the speed with a gps. An operable wake plate might be more help than you think, though.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded