Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Oxford, MI
    Posts
    634

    Default Surfing a Supra 21V - anybody have experience?

    So I made a new friend while selling my boat, he had contacted me about buying my boat. He was looking for newer, but we started sharing boats we were finding (since I was also in the market) and became friends. He ended up buying a 06 21V about the same time I bought my LSV.

    I went riding with him last weekend behind his Supra. The wakeboard wake was great, very similar to my old Launch. The surf wake however was terrible. I was shocked, but we could not get it to be even acceptable. We had 1200 under the bow, 750 in rear. We then added 650 on top of left seats. We then emptied the bow to about 400. None of it was good. Wakeplate wasn't working, but it was stuck at 50% and that's where I had it on my old Launch while surfing.

    Anybody ever had a good experience surfing a 21V and can recommend a good setup? I've literally never been in a ski or wake boat that I couldn't make have a decent surf wake, including old boats from the 80s I've surfed before with a few fat sacks strewn about.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    812

    Default Surfing a Supra 21V - anybody have experience?

    I would love to see what people say because I have an '08 21V and agree surfing on it is terrible. I haven't spent much time trying to fine tune it but I am very interested if anyone has thoughts.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    The 21v just doesn't surf all that well from everything I've read or heard, but we make it work. The best we've found without piling a bunch of ppl in the boat is. 750 in the back left, 650 in the playpen,400 on the surf side seats,and about 150-200 lbs in the back right. I was a skeptic if adding weight to the opposite side but I did it while my brother was surfing and he said it added a little bit more push to the wake. It's hard to get the 21v to lean to one side, a 750 in the corner of my old lsv would really get the boat leaning. A 750 on one side of the 21v barely leans the boat over. I guess that's what makes it such a solid hull for wakeboarding. After everything we've tried the 21v still does not surf as well as our LSV did with a 750 on the surf side and 400 full in the ski locker.
    Last edited by bzubke1; 08-14-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    -2012 Supra 21v
    Wetsounds Rev10's, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds XS-12, Alpine MRP-M500,
    JL Audio JX360/4, Polk MM651 Interiors
    -2008 Mobius LSV

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4

    Default 08 supra 21v surf wake

    Quote Originally Posted by Cigars n scotch View Post
    I would love to see what people say because I have an '08 21V and agree surfing on it is terrible. I haven't spent much time trying to fine tune it but I am very interested if anyone has thoughts.
    Hi. My '08 21v has an awesome surf wake. I replaced the stock left rear ballast with an 1100lb bag. 1100 in center locker. 750lb on left rear seat. 400lbs on rear seat or put in floor and 400lb front playpen on left side. This gives me a TALL and long wake. But very tall. Def harder to learn on a taller wake for newbies and makes it challenging to start from the platform but I can. I'm only 116lbs though and I'm riding an inland surfer 4'3. Having said that I have taught many guys to ride ropeless behind my boat. I ride 10.8 speed and the guys ride around 11.2 on my boat. The bags do push the engine compartment walls in but wake makers makes reinforcement bars for this. Also be sure to have a good prop. Wake makers can help you with this. Also wake plate at 100%. With people on boat I might have to go to 50% or even add a bit of weight to right rear. Just play with it. Wake changes with weight, wind or busy lake water and adjustments are needed. Good learning.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North End Lake Lanier GA
    Posts
    7,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cinmegpey View Post
    Hi. My '08 21v has an awesome surf wake. I replaced the stock left rear ballast with an 1100lb bag. 1100 in center locker. 750lb on left rear seat. 400lbs on rear seat or put in floor and 400lb front playpen on left side. This gives me a TALL and long wake. But very tall. Def harder to learn on a taller wake for newbies and makes it challenging to start from the platform but I can. I'm only 116lbs though and I'm riding an inland surfer 4'3. Having said that I have taught many guys to ride ropeless behind my boat. I ride 10.8 speed and the guys ride around 11.2 on my boat. The bags do push the engine compartment walls in but wake makers makes reinforcement bars for this. Also be sure to have a good prop. Wake makers can help you with this. Also wake plate at 100%. With people on boat I might have to go to 50% or even add a bit of weight to right rear. Just play with it. Wake changes with weight, wind or busy lake water and adjustments are needed. Good learning.
    All good advise,

    For the newer riders I will put my wake plat all the way down so it flattens the wake and also sometimes lower my ballast level to knock my surf down.

    I personally am not a fan of swim deck starts as its illegal in most areas, also people should learn deep water starts as when they ride other boats, those owners may not like swim deck starts and this is a dis-service to a rider only knowing how to start off a swim deck.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >

    https://vimeo.com/59208513?from=outro-local

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4

    Lightbulb Surfin supra 21v

    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    All good advise,

    For the newer riders I will put my wake plat all the way down so it flattens the wake and also sometimes lower my ballast level to knock my surf down.

    I personally am not a fan of swim deck starts as its illegal in most areas, also people should learn deep water starts as when they ride other boats, those owners may not like swim deck starts and this is a dis-service to a rider only knowing how to start off a swim deck.
    Well I only do platform starts and stops from my own boat and I've never met a newbie that would even try it. It would be rude to try that behind anyone else's boat. I guess my point was that with 3800lbs of ballast the 21v makes an awesome surf wave for those who have one and are trying to get a great wave. The Ronix shaper makes an awesome wave on it with 3400lbs evenly....1100 each rear and 1200 in center locker. Surfs up!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA / Big Bay Lake, MS
    Posts
    2,287

    Default Surfing a Supra 21V - anybody have experience?

    I'd say cut back in the 1200 up front
    I have '011 21v
    I have fact 650 up front and 650 in left rear.
    It's surf able to me.
    Had a extra full boat this weekend and was better but also had bow full and that made wave long but not as big. I have extra 450 I keep saying ill make into a mobile bag but haven't had the time.
    I run around 11mph and wake plate at 50%
    This doesn't show greatest view but shows its rideable
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376539003.660367.jpg
    Brad

    Mississippi/Louisiana
    2011 Launch 21V
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Oxford, MI
    Posts
    634

    Default

    I almost spent $10k more on a 21V instead of my LSV, this all makes me so glad I didn't lol.

    bzub I tried also partially filling the right bag to no avail. I thought that maybe it needed more in the back.

    04outback, your's looks maybe a little bigger than what we had and a little bit cleaner, but not much (as best as I can tell from a pic). Your wake looks washy just like the one we had. I couldn't get it to clean up, and at one point I had a very similar setup to what you run when we emptied a bunch of water out of the bow.

    I'm tellin ya, It's just so crazy because I've never had this kind of trouble getting a surf-able wake. I should mention that I was able to surf it, but I'm a relatively experienced wakesurfer and can keep up with not much wake. Just because I could ride on the wave doesn't mean it was good, it was terrible and it still blows my mind! I love Supra, but this made me very upset
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA / Big Bay Lake, MS
    Posts
    2,287

    Default Surfing a Supra 21V - anybody have experience?

    No doubt the 21v hull isn't the most optimum surf hull. But it is surf able and can be optimized.
    On suggestion is check speedo calibration to ensure speed

    But. The 21v hull was designed to be a solid wake for Wakeboarding.
    Brad

    Mississippi/Louisiana
    2011 Launch 21V
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Just my 2 cents, last weekend we had 8 people out and with the stock G3 bags on the driver side rear locker and the center locker both full and the wakeplate all the way down we were able to get what I thought was an ok wave. You just have to tinker with it until it gets where you want it.

    Do keep in mind that this boat was not designed entirely for surfing so there are some drawbacks if that is al that you want.
    2011 Supra 21V
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    Wetsounds Icon8's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •