Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Waxing Bad For A Boat?

I thought I read somewhere that waxing was bad for a boat, because the wax gets into the gelcoat and starts to yellow and eventually start to chaulk. Anyone know if this is true? If so, what are you using instead of wax? Seems like all I can find is wax at the boat store, where as if I go to the camper store, I find sprays.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Off the Craigslist add from last week, boat sold by the guy who bought it from me. Lots of wax since I bought it in '98 and no yellowing.
    -Jake

After 16 seasons and being outdoors 100% of the time it looks good but I'm not sure what it would look like if I didn't wax it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I saw a show (Ship Shape TV) where a guy from the fiberglass industry stated that wax causes chaulking. I was kind of surprised by that. I thought that UV broke down the gel coat causing it.

I live in FL, I see cared for boats (i.e. waxed) and non waxed boats that sit in the sun year round. Wax boat retain color for a MUCH longer time. Regardless of what is said by experts (in this case), I will continue to wax my boat.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Maybe if the entire gel coat is deteriorated or something, then maybe it's possible that wax would cause bare fiberglass to yellow I guess? I don't know, but pretty much everybody I know waxes their fiberglass watercraft, and all their boats look great, even the older ones. I use the squeeze gel type for quick hand applications throughout the year, but then I actually use regular wax and an electric buffer once a year.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    Maybe if the entire gel coat is deteriorated or something, then maybe it's possible that wax would cause bare fiberglass to yellow I guess? I don't know, but pretty much everybody I know waxes their fiberglass watercraft, and all their boats look great, even the older ones. I use the squeeze gel type for quick hand applications throughout the year, but then I actually use regular wax and an electric buffer once a year.
    Your name is Wax. Of course you're a proponent.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

I purchased a used boat that sat out, and had caulking on the side. Since I did one buffing, and waxed it every year, it looks good.

-- bk
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

Just an old wives tale that won't die. Chalking is just fiberglass oxidizing because it hasn't been properly maintained. So use any good "wax" (aka sealant or polish depending on mfg) and keep your gelcoat looking shiny and no chalking.

After putting a good wax on do you guys spray the boat down with anything like a top coat/protectant to keep the dirt/grim of lake water from leaving a line around the boat when taking it out of the water!?

We have really hard sulfur water here and when I pull the boat out, there's a white powdery film all the way around the boat at the waterline. It wipes off with a towel and some elbow grease, but I feel like there should be something simple to keep this from happening...

Thoughts?
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Quote Originally Posted by NateHaskovec View Post
    Your name is Wax. Of course you're a proponent.
    Haha true statement.

Funny how that name came about, I spent a lot of time in arcades as a kid like in Vegas and Tahoe because of our family out there and my parents like to gamble. For like a high score on a game or something where you put initials in I would usually randomly just hit the buttons for initials, but one time out came WAX. From that point forward I just always used it.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV