Thread: Had a bad day!

Default Had a bad day!

Well my trip out today was ended early by a nasty storm.

Since the water was crazy choppy as the storm rolled through, I dropped the wife at the dock and had her back the trailer (she is still learning how).

Usually she holds the boat at the dock, but the waves on the lake were breaking up onto the dock, so I thought it would be best for her to back the trailer.

As I was watching her (trying to signal her to help her out), I didn't notice how far the storm had pushed the boat. When I looked, I was right over some huge rocks near the shore. I tried to move off of them, but it was too late. The boat got hung on the rocks, and the waves bashed it up and down.

I jumped out and pushed as hard as I could, and finally got it loose. It was pure misery hearing it bouncing on the rocks with each wave.

The prop is now trash, but it saved the rest of the back end from damage. The starboard side now has 30+ deep gouges in the black gel coat right below the waterline. It is heartbreaking to see.

I will be fixing the gel myself, and will post a how-to thread for you all, and I have a new prop sorted with the help of a forum member. After what felt like thousands in damage, I will be able to fix for around $500.

Thanks again Moomba Forum!
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

Put the $500 toward the deductable and let someone else spend their time as you may have more than prop damage.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Had a bad day!

That sucks, but it sounds like your heads in the right spot - nobody was hurt, and its just a boat. Fix it and continue having fun with it!

I know the feeling of having your new toy damaged - mine met an icy road and a tree before it was ever in the water
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Put the $500 toward the deductable and let someone else spend their time as you may have more than prop damage.
    I never use insurance. I have been driving and boating for 18 years and have only made one claim.

I have gone over the boat with a fine toothed comb. There is no damage to the strut, tracking fins (other than a few scratches), or rudder.

Once I finish the gelcoat repair, I will check the drivetrain alignment at the shaft coupling. As straight and true as the strut is, I am sure it is fine.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    That sucks, but it sounds like your heads in the right spot - nobody was hurt, and its just a boat. Fix it and continue having fun with it!

I know the feeling of having your new toy damaged - mine met an icy road and a tree before it was ever in the water
    I saw the thread. I didn't know it was you at the time (I had just joined) but you seemed to stay pretty positive during the repair.

I have been very lucky with both inboards I have owned. This is the first time I damaged anything where it truly was my fault.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

Default Had a bad day!

I hear ya and glad it didn't turn out worse. The dock we used back in NJ was a disaster and the tide whipping through fast as hell when it was changing didn't help any. I have a few ugly gel coat scratches (black) on my white hull so I'm interested in seeing how you fix it. I don't have a clue how to. I've just sucked it up and realized its just a boat and sh*t happens. I'll be on the lookout for your DIY.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

You have it all in perspective for sure. It sucks and I'm sure you were pretty hot at the time but in the end it is fixable and no loved one was injured.

I would have been furious at the time of the incident for sure and your thread made me instantly think of the Paul Thorn song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPM1ifkOQ9s

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet