Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf the MONDO?

I hope SC ends up with something like NSS. I rode behind a G23 that was evenly weighted in the back and the wave was beautiful and much better than the pics I've seen posted online. Makes me wonder if people are trying to combine these new surf systems with the conventional weighting techniques and it just doesn't work well?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    one will be arriving at Atlanta Marine in 9 days and I plan to demo it (if they will let me)
    Just grab it for a weekend and some of us will come up and demo it with you.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have heard the same thing about surfgate and I still don't get the side to side thing. I know a few that have ridden g23's with nss and say it's a real good wave. Having ridden a few vx-equipped tiges they do need a lot of weight as it's basically a hull extension.

I will be anxious to see the pics drew can post up if he gets his hands on that boat with some "real" weight, not the factory ballast. all things point to a solid surf wave from a sub-21ft boat and with that freeboard and seat depth, looks to be a great boat to handle and, more importantly, hide a lot of ballast.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    I hope SC ends up with something like NSS. I rode behind a G23 that was evenly weighted in the back and the wave was beautiful and much better than the pics I've seen posted online. Makes me wonder if people are trying to combine these new surf systems with the conventional weighting techniques and it just doesn't work well?
    did you surf the G23?

Default Surf the MONDO?

Yessir. And a wakeboard set too!

I asked as the G23 was the towboat at both MN and Nationals this year. There is a bit of a snarky thread going on over at WW about weighting and the wave. My personal opinion is that it's not a great surf wave. In MN, they didn't have any bow weight and riders were requesting that judges move to the front to help mellow it out some. I believe that they had too much weight in the boat. As a result, most were riding with the plate/NSS at 0/0. So, what's the point if you don't have it deployed?

The wave at Nationals was much improved, but there was some 900 lbs of lead in the bow. They used the stock ballast w/ 300 lb sacs in the back. Check out this pic as the boat was literally plowing through the water.

It's a fantastic boat, wonderfully built and equipped, but it struggles as a surf boat. The SAN 230 was also at the event, and IMO, had a much better surf wave. And, just so everyone doesn't think I'm a total homer, below are comments from one of the pioneers of modern wakesurfing that I stole from his blog:

"The wake is a bit steep, which is typical from these big boats and contests. Lots of weight and they tend to lose the transition. Good for airs and some above the lip tricks, but limited by the lack of a transition. Lots of the more simple aerials for a wake like this."

"Overall we are not liking the winged attachments or the tendency towards limiting the list of wakesurf wakes. It feels like that makes the wakes softer and reduces the available power of the wake."

Reminds me of an old saying...

"There's no replacement for displacement"
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Surf the MONDO?

I'm not a surf expert by any measure and only have my boat and a few other more wakeboard oriented boats to compare the G23 surf wave against. So with that context, I thought it was enormous, clean, and I could ride what felt like 10 feet further from the boat, all on a board that was way too small for me. We laughed that we could have three people surf the same wave at the same time. 5 seconds later you could surf the other side, then be ready for wakeboarding before you'd even be strapped in. So for me the nss would be an amazing feature... but not surprising that it wouldn't satisfy the surf competitors as they would have standards well above mine.

All of this reminds me of the Malibu wedge that some people love and others despise.

Quote Originally Posted by bkearney View Post
    (listjack, sorry) anyone know when SC is gonna look at any of the tech around using boat structure for wakes instead of just the weight? We went on a malibu with a surf gate and it was really nice.
    They are making boats with hull lines specific to surfing.

Mojo, has side skirts and lines that help channel the water to make for better surfing. Also the nose is designed to allow the boat to ride lower in the water when surfing.

Supra SC has a nose specific for surfing, the body lines on the rear, normally where you see the hull color change is cut specifically for surfing.

Mondo i cant speak on as much but if its hull is really a mini Mojo then it has the same hull features as the Mojo.

Just because you dont see a Surf Gate, NSS, surf Tabs, on a SC product doesn't mean they aren't changing the hulls and making changes to things to make them better surf boats.

SC is working on it, and we really owe a lot to the designers and Shane Stillman who has a lot of design input for the new boats, also hes is a surfing guy like many of us and wants the boats to surf well.

Each boat i spend time in with him, <3 all new boats now> he harps and harps on peoples thoughts on the Surf characteristics of the boats. He talks and pushes the Wake Board wave also but his passion for the day to day is getting these boats in the surf scene.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Surf the MONDO?

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    They are making boats with hull lines specific to surfing.

Mojo, has side skirts and lines that help channel the water to make for better surfing. Also the nose is designed to allow the boat to ride lower in the water when surfing.

Supra SC has a nose specific for surfing, the body lines on the rear, normally where you see the hull color change is cut specifically for surfing.

Mondo i cant speak on as much but if its hull is really a mini Mojo then it has the same hull features as the Mojo.

Just because you dont see a Surf Gate, NSS, surf Tabs, on a SC product doesn't mean they aren't changing the hulls and making changes to things to make them better surf boats.

SC is working on it, and we really owe a lot to the designers and Shane Stillman who has a lot of design input for the new boats, also hes is a surfing guy like many of us and wants the boats to surf well.

Each boat i spend time in with him, <3 all new boats now> he harps and harps on peoples thoughts on the Surf characteristics of the boats. He talks and pushes the Wake Board wave also but his passion for the day to day is getting these boats in the surf scene.
    This makes me sad because to me the surf wave is a distant second in importance to the wakeboard wave. I don't mind surf friendly changes but I don't want to sacrifice the wakeboard wave or improvements to the wakeboard wave to make that happen.

The LSV IMO could use some work on the wakeboard wave too.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD