Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf the MONDO?

Hybrid View

Default Surf the MONDO?

Hi all, new guy here. I've been watching MOOMBA for years, almost bought an OBV in '08, but the local dealer was absolute crap, ended up in something else. We've been surfing the crap out of what we have, but it's just too limited. We need something more purpose built for it. I'm really excited about the new MONDO, sounds like it will fit in my garage, doesn't cost as much as a house, has an incredible interior, one of the best I've seen from Moomba.

Just like the title says, I'm wondering if any of the mere mortals on the forum have had a shot at surfing the MONDO yet. So far all I've seen are the flickr photos and the promo vid, anybody here seen one in the wild up close and personal?

Thanks all.
    Trace

Default Surf the MONDO?

The first one off the factory floor is in Texas for the Texas jam. It came in late so they were not able to prep it to put it in the water but it sure looks nice.

Thanks Cactus, I dug around and found pictures for that one, it's gorgeous. Maybe when he gets a minute Drew can chime in, somebody intimated he might have had a surf session behind a Mondo. Here's hoping anyway.

Anybody surf this thing yet, we need pics!!!

I have. Really enjoyed it but I thought it needed more weight than the factory 400's in the rear (I would want at least 750's in the rear). We only had stock ballast (1300 pounds) and 3 people including the driver so we were limited on weight. The freeboard is so deep and the storage is massive so I know that properly weighted it will be a monster.

Anybody else see one of these in the water with pictures of the wake? We are seeing them show up at the dealers across the country, somebody's got to be taking a demo ride. If I had a dealer near me, I'd be all over it, but so far the closest Moomba dealer I've found is about 5 hours away and they don't have any stock....

Default Surf the MONDO?

Yessir. And a wakeboard set too!

I asked as the G23 was the towboat at both MN and Nationals this year. There is a bit of a snarky thread going on over at WW about weighting and the wave. My personal opinion is that it's not a great surf wave. In MN, they didn't have any bow weight and riders were requesting that judges move to the front to help mellow it out some. I believe that they had too much weight in the boat. As a result, most were riding with the plate/NSS at 0/0. So, what's the point if you don't have it deployed?

The wave at Nationals was much improved, but there was some 900 lbs of lead in the bow. They used the stock ballast w/ 300 lb sacs in the back. Check out this pic as the boat was literally plowing through the water.

It's a fantastic boat, wonderfully built and equipped, but it struggles as a surf boat. The SAN 230 was also at the event, and IMO, had a much better surf wave. And, just so everyone doesn't think I'm a total homer, below are comments from one of the pioneers of modern wakesurfing that I stole from his blog:

"The wake is a bit steep, which is typical from these big boats and contests. Lots of weight and they tend to lose the transition. Good for airs and some above the lip tricks, but limited by the lack of a transition. Lots of the more simple aerials for a wake like this."

"Overall we are not liking the winged attachments or the tendency towards limiting the list of wakesurf wakes. It feels like that makes the wakes softer and reduces the available power of the wake."

Reminds me of an old saying...

"There's no replacement for displacement"
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Surf the MONDO?

I'm not a surf expert by any measure and only have my boat and a few other more wakeboard oriented boats to compare the G23 surf wave against. So with that context, I thought it was enormous, clean, and I could ride what felt like 10 feet further from the boat, all on a board that was way too small for me. We laughed that we could have three people surf the same wave at the same time. 5 seconds later you could surf the other side, then be ready for wakeboarding before you'd even be strapped in. So for me the nss would be an amazing feature... but not surprising that it wouldn't satisfy the surf competitors as they would have standards well above mine.

All of this reminds me of the Malibu wedge that some people love and others despise.