View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Moomba/Supra Ownersa WakeSurf board sharing program?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 60.71%
  • No

4 14.29%
  • Maybe, but I need more details. (post questions in reply)

7 25.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Moomba Owner's Wakesurf Board Sharing Program

Seems like we're all wanting to try out different boards, yet it also seems tough to get our hands on demo boards. I understand that a lot of the good board makers are small businesses and therefore having demo boards might be a challenge, especially if they have to cover shipping, etc.

So, after seeing KG's post about providing a shipping label, anyone interested in putting together a pool of Moomba/Supra owners where we all contirbute some $$ to buy a set of different boards we agree on and then share throughout the season? We could then do a random drawing at the end of the season (or even next season) to see who would then be the owner of the board. If you didn't get the board you liked best, individual owners could work out swaps.

Everyone would have to commit upfront to a schedule of when and where the current board they had would be shipped to next. Kinda round-robin style and each person would have to cover shipping cost to the next location. We could try and arrange a loop across the country so people wouldn't get jammed up having to ship from the great Northwest to Florida, or vice versa.

Other thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 03-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.

this was done on ww a few years ago with a wakeboard/bindings. I don't remember who the pro rider was that hooked it up, but long story, board got held up here in boise by some white trash. I volunteered to go get the board and ship it on. it was $16 to send it fedex to the next person, but I did get to ride it for the weekend. was fun to ride a different board. about 50% had signed it, which kind of made it neat, but the board was somewhat beat up. funny twist, when I sent it on, the guy in eugene rode it then sent it back to me
    got a nice hyperlite hoodie for going to pick up the board tho(don't remember who on here bought it off me as it was a 2xl). house was total white trash complete with broken down cars and pitbulls watching the place. she had it for 6 weeks and had no intention of sending it on.

ok, back on topic, depending on cost i'd be in, but I think just a single board or possibly 2 would be the max for the year. need to give it some time in each stop for weather related delays,probably start on the east coast and wind up either in the pac nw or up in great lakes area. due to the cost of customs, what about our northern neighbors? I know it's expensive to ship there so would one person be saddled with the costs of crossing the border? rather than having a drawing, as someone might win it that didn't like it, but a price assigned at the end of the year accounting for use/damage? that cash would help fund the next year? I'd consider buying one that I liked, but more for the sig's from various parts of the country from fellow skiers owners
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

cool concept, like more details. us northerners would be in the middle of the chain. south east, north east , north mid west, norwest, pac northwest southwest, Mid south middle america back to fl or vis versa based on seasons.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

My thoughts:

1. Nodody without 100 posts on here can play. You have to be at least a semi-regular.
    2. Definitely let the northies have it in their summer months.
    3. Have an auction at the end for what's left of the board.
    4. Start one maybe every other month with a break from Nov. to Feb.
    5. If you don't ship when you are supposed to you are done forever.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

sandm - THANKS for the "watchouts"
    kaneboats - I like your rules

I have found that there is fantastic interaction on this site for those that are "regulars." Take Ian's coolie-tastic group buy. Sure, it wasn't a bunch of coin, but I still felt comfortable sending the guy a PayPal payment with the expectation he'd come thru with the goods.

I've purchased a number of items from people on the boards and haven't had a single issue. Most of us divulge enough info that I have always figured if somebody tried to pull one over on me, I could track that person down pretty dang easy.

Ever seen what one good whack from a 3 lb maul can do to some fiberglass?

Other thoughts/ideas?

kane has some good points. perhaps start with one board and a 3month trial and see how it goes. def. like the fact that you must be a regular on here. will encourage those that aren't that are interested to start participating.
    not to exclude or start something, as I have a supra, but I would think to start with, limit it to this board? I'd bet you will find 10-15 that will be interested. should make a good board $20 per person and then shipping.. still unsure about the canadian thing(no offense) as my experience is that it's awfully expensive to get stuff there??
    I like the auction. perhaps silent? put the cash into a new board making each subsequent(sp) go around cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    cool concept, like more details. us northerners would be in the middle of the chain. south east, north east , north mid west, norwest, pac northwest southwest, Mid south middle america back to fl or vis versa based on seasons.
    I was thinking of maybe 4 boards with one in each quadrant of the country - NE, SE, SW, NW and a simple rotation from one area to the other. Maybe we can look at what sandm suggested and leave a particular board in an area for a longer period of time for all participants in that area to enjoy.

For example: we have a board in the NW for 4 wks that sandm, newty, mmandley & cab pass around & share then forward on to the next area.

Not so much as expensive rather it's a hassle because Customs is gonna want to tax us thinking it's a purchase. I would be interested and I do make it down to Portland at least once or twice in the summer time so logistically I think I could make it work. I would be in if you accept your northern brethren.

Or maybe I could work it so I could hook up with Cab, Mandley or Newty. Been trying to get a hold of Newty as I have a question for him about his transom lights. Anyone heard from that guy lately?
    Last edited by Canuckle Head; 03-03-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

just keep in mind that the more boards, the more the expense, and most pro shops have a demo program, at least up here, where you can rent a board for $20 and that rental goes toward purchase. if there's a board you really like, or down to 2, usually you can get a couple of demos out of your $20 if you know the dealership real well.
    I can't see putting $50-100 in for a board, using it for a week, getting another and having to pay for shipping to the next, then having to either take a chance at an auction or paying more again for a board once they have been around the horn?

While I like the idea, seeing our experience with shipping the Inland Surfer Blue Lake last year, I just see this as more trouble than it is worth. It might be easier for folks to find local dealers that allow demo rides.
    2008 Outback V