Hybrid View

Default Auto LEDs on Trailer?

I would like to put some LED "Landing" lights on my trailer.

Would this setup work to auto turn them on when backing up the trailer?

• If so, any suggestions as to where to get appropriate LED strip lighting for an underwater application?
    • Would any colors be better than any others? My new boat is mostly red with a red trailer.

Last edited by EricU; 08-09-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

I would not recommend leaving your vehicle in reverse while you load your boat on the trailer. I would wire them into your running light circuit with a toggle switch to turn them on and off. Or, and this may blow your mind, mount a bilge floating switch on the trailer were when it's in the water it turns on the light. That would be cool.

To do this without requiring an additional connection between the truck and trailer, as in those trailers with either a 4 or 5 way, just use the brown tail light circuit. Your typical LED trips wont last. They are not very robust and the applied 3M adhesive is not strong enough to last in that application.

call your supreme boat dealer and see if they have one already set up you can look at. they had one at our boat show last year that had this exact setup. float switch on the inside rear of the trailer and led strip tape up the entire trailer. charlie the now ex-supreme rep was there and said it was an option for any trailer for supreme. they didn't do a lot of them as most dealers order ahead of time and didn't see the "value" in adding a few hundred to the price of the boat.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    call your supreme boat dealer and see if they have one already set up you can look at. they had one at our boat show last year that had this exact setup. float switch on the inside rear of the trailer and led strip tape up the entire trailer...
    Thanks for the lead, I think our local Tige dealer also carries Supremes, Moomba dealers are far and few around here.

I found the switch while looking for a switch to add an auto bilge for when leaving the boat in a slip or tied to the pontoon overnight and thought it might be a good addition to both trailers.
    White on the Pontoon's ridiculously long trailer and either red or blue on the wakeboard boat.

Doesn't look like it will cost that much ($$$Zippp$$$).

I think I will experiment with some different colored lights on the trailer.

And Cornrickey, I am glad you caught the intent of my diagram! Thought I had left something out! Seems simple enough to me.
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

it was late, I had been drinking, yadayadayada...I made a portable mister for my daughter's soccer team and used a float switch to turn the pump off when it ran out of water so it wouldn't burn up the impeller. works great.

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    Thanks for the lead, I think our local Tige dealer also carries Supremes, Moomba dealers are far and few around here.

I found the switch while looking for a switch to add an auto bilge for when leaving the boat in a slip or tied to the pontoon overnight and thought it might be a good addition to both trailers.
    White on the Pontoon's ridiculously long trailer and either red or blue on the wakeboard boat.

Doesn't look like it will cost that much ($$$Zippp$$$).

I think I will experiment with some different colored lights on the trailer.

And Cornrickey, I am glad you caught the intent of my diagram! Thought I had left something out! Seems simple enough to me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-12...item587e626c5a

ever thought about using something like this.. if you have the swingaway tongue maybe hide the module in the frame...
    just a idea.. could keep a remote in boat and tow vehicle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT5-12V-18W...item43be090f44

these might work for lights too.. i might look into doing this for a winter project
    Last edited by powerstroke99; 08-15-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    07 Gravity Games Edition XLV
    -EXiled Out System Amps,Sub,Speakers,etc.. Modified Gravity III Ballast, Blue Leds Throughtout boat, still more to come!

02 Moomba LSV "SOLD"

Tow Rig-12' F150 Ecoboost-leveled/intake

[QUOTE=cornrickey;225104]I would not recommend leaving your vehicle in reverse while you load your boat on the trailer. I would wire them into your running light circuit with a toggle switch to turn them on and off. Or, and this may blow your mind, mount a bilge floating switch on the trailer were when it's in the water it turns on the light. That would be cool.[/QUOTE
    never mind. I was on my phone when I read your post and didn't see the diagram with the switch. I guess good minds think alike