Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mojo Tower Speakers

I just got my Mojo a couple weeks ago and the tower speakers were just added last week. I had the opportunity to try them out for the first time this weekend and I must say I was very underwhelmed with their performance. The starboard speaker is already exhibiting a defect as it appears the foam around the center of the speaker is loose and is vibrating. Distortion can be heard.

I don't have my boat as it's in the shop getting some other things corrected. I'm assuming that the kicker amp is a KXM 400.2 and that the speakers are the Roswell R6's. When I was looking at the specs, I see the amp is capable of 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms and the speakers are only capable of 75 watts RMS (150W peak) at 4 ohms. It doesn't appear that this is the best match.

Has anyone experienced issues with the stock tower speaker/amp combo? I wouldn't think I should expect product failure on day one of use. Either way, as I stated, I'm not overly impressed with the audio performance on the tower... especailly after investing nearly $70k
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

It's much better to have extra power from the amp on tap. No issues with the match-up you've got in terms of power and power handling.

I'm sure the dealer will get your speaker fixed and resolve the rattle and distortion, but I am guessing you will still be underwhelmed. Plenty of people on here who have upgraded the factory tower setup in favor of some better aftermarket options. I hear you on the price you paid and expectations, but like with any boat I hope you kept some money in the boat fund for mods and upgrades.

Yup, you can get lots of help on here with your aftermarket choices. Rock on!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    I'm not overly impressed with the audio performance on the tower... especailly after investing nearly $70k
    I get this, but only sort of. You didn't invest $70k in the tower speakers and they didn't come from Skier's Choice. It's like hollering at the Ford dealer b/c the tires suck. In the end, it's a Roswell issue, it's under warranty, so have the dealer fix it.

Better yet, tell the dealer those speakers suck and you want a credit towards some better stuff that you want them to install for FREE due to the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Better yet, tell the dealer those speakers suck and you want a credit towards some better stuff that you want them to install for FREE due to the hassle.
    .... But keep in mind that the dealer is likely not the ideal location to have audio equipment installed. That's not always the case but seems to be most of the time.

As Dan mentioned, the power specs line up between the amp and speakers. The distortion is likely in the install.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    .... But keep in mind that the dealer is likely not the ideal location to have audio equipment installed. That's not always the case but seems to be most of the time.
    true words above & good call out

Thanks for the input folks.

I know this is a Roswell quality issue, at least on the failed speaker. I also realize I'll probably end up upgrading to better speakers at some point... and probably a bigger amp. I may ask about a credit toward something better but I'm not sure that will be an option.

To the quote about this not being SC's issue I don't really agree. I work for a large (green) agricultural equipment company... our products utilize a large percentage of supplied components... in the end it is our responsibility to deliver a quality product to our customer (and correct issues when they arise).

I believe Roswell will make things right with the speaker; I'm just upset that I have to send in the speaker for evaluation and wait for it to be repaired or replaced. They’ve already been sent a video and have identified it to be defective. I'd be more understanding if I'd been using it for six months as opposed to one day.
    2022 Moomba Mojo

The dealer should do the waiting on Roswell ... Can they not just throw another one on there?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

That is the request I made when I told them about it last Friday. I've also made that request again today.
    2022 Moomba Mojo

keep in mind these things are, for the most part, built by hand and issues are going to arise. I have had several things pop up on my boat(not a moomba) so it's across all the brands.

Wolfe is spot on with the upgrades as well. when you buy a new car, the stereos in most of them suck at best. manufacturers put in what will suite the 90% and the rest upgrade, just like a boat. ask on here how many still have factory stereos or factory ballast and it'll be a staggering number that have replaced part/all of them.
    fwiw, I had roswell in my supra and some of my friends thought they sounded great. lasted 1 season and replaced. they were crap imo.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten