Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    The dealer should do the waiting on Roswell ... Can they not just throw another one on there?
    I agree it should be the dealer making things right for the end user. But as stated in other threads there is a varied idea of what customer service should really look like among the SC dealers around the country. It's not just SC either as i'm sure all manufacturers have less than par dealers out there??

There is another manufacturer dealer in the same town as the SC dealer and I know that the "other guy" would strip things off a new boat on the lot to ensure that a customer is never NOT on the water. They do everything they can to ensure a customer is taken care of. They won't even do service work on another brand unless it doesn't impair their ability to service their customers. Gotta tell you that that is worth something!!

I hope you have a dealer that is willing to do that for you to ensure your happiness with them, and the New Mojo!
    It'll keep you coming back for sure

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I'm very happy with Moomba and SC as a whole. The Mojo meets our needs, it's awesome. I'm just a little unhappy with a few minor details... Like the tower speaker "upgrade." Defective on day one and you can't hear them while on the rope which I believe is the purpose of having them in the first place...
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    I just got my Mojo a couple weeks ago and the tower speakers were just added last week. I had the opportunity to try them out for the first time this weekend and I must say I was very underwhelmed with their performance. The starboard speaker is already exhibiting a defect as it appears the foam around the center of the speaker is loose and is vibrating. Distortion can be heard.

I don't have my boat as it's in the shop getting some other things corrected. I'm assuming that the kicker amp is a KXM 400.2 and that the speakers are the Roswell R6's. When I was looking at the specs, I see the amp is capable of 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms and the speakers are only capable of 75 watts RMS (150W peak) at 4 ohms. It doesn't appear that this is the best match.

Has anyone experienced issues with the stock tower speaker/amp combo? I wouldn't think I should expect product failure on day one of use. Either way, as I stated, I'm not overly impressed with the audio performance on the tower... especailly after investing nearly $70k
    I would like to address your stereo concerns, if i may. There are a number of things that can result in audio distortion, not a one being due to the equipment's quality, but rather installer or customer induced.

Lets start with the speaker thats coming apart. If a speaker is electrically blown, or the surround or cone is separating, it will sound like dog poo. This will no doubt disrupt the sound quality of the rest of the system. So this needs to be addressed first and foremost.

Next is what is a result of installer/poor tuning. If the amplifier, EQ and head-unit settings are not properly set, the most expensive speaker will sound like @$$, every time. Properly tuned, a $25 pair of speakers can sound golden. So, it may be worth having someone with marine audio experience to inspect and re-tune the entire system once the separating speaker is replaced. This may cost you a little money, but it can be worth it in the long run.

Your music. What is the quality of the music source? Are the downloads clean or are the highly compressed and "dirty"? Speakers do a great job at reproducing what is delivered to them. What is your music storage device? Are you using the 3.5mm head-phone jack or the data port? The 3.5mm is such a low quality and low voltage output. This results in a need to turn the volume up to a point that the signal clips, which in the end, is the distortion you are hearing.

Head-unit volume level. In most typical head-units, its output signal can and will begin to clip/distort past the 85% of wide open mark. It is very important to not turn the head-unit's volume, and in most cases the MP3 player's volume, past that 85% mark. This insures peak volume with a clean signal.

In RE to the speaker's RMS/Peak and the amp. That is an absolute perfect pairing. In fact, I suggested that very Kicker KXM 400.2 Class-D marine amp to another Moomba owner just last week, to power 2 pair of 6'5" coaxial towers speakers with similar power handling.

In closing, if you are looking to project music to a wake-boarder effectively, those 6.5" coaxials will not get the job done. Its not about the quality of brand A or brand B, its about the right speaker technology for the job. Coaxials make for a great surf/party-cove setup, but an HLCD is needed to reach a rider in tow, 80ft behind the boat. So if you decide to make a change, for what ever reason, you need to lay out your tower speaker goals and fallow that path.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    In closing, if you are looking to project music to a wake-boarder effectively, those 6.5" coaxials will not get the job done. Its not about the quality of brand A or brand B, its about the right speaker technology for the job. Coaxials make for a great surf/party-cove setup, but an HLCD is needed to reach a rider in tow, 80ft behind the boat. So if you decide to make a change, for what ever reason, you need to lay out your tower speaker goals and fallow that path.
    This ...

If you bought the "upgrade" speakers to hear the music at the end of 75' rope, tell them to hold onto the speakers or give you a credit like Drew mentioned. Even when it is properly tuned the 6.5" coaxials aren't going to do the trick and you won't be satisfied. ...... if 75' is the goal.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

If they were able to credit me for the speakers, what would be a good set of speakers to replace these with using the stock amp?

To the point about proper tuning... since this is a factory installed system shouldn't it have been optimized from the factory? Not that I believe it was... but shoudn't it be?
    2022 Moomba Mojo

If they were able to credit me for the speakers, what would be a good set of speakers to replace these with using the stock amp?

To the point about proper tuning... since this is a factory installed system shouldn't it have been optimized from the factory? Not that I believe it was... but shoudn't it be?
    You indicated that you picked up the boat a couple of weeks ago and then the tower speaker system was added last week. That would be a dealer installed accessory, even its its what is offered by the factory. Totally different scenario then having the system installed as the boat is built. Keep in mind, the dealer is not the factory. Your dealer is a franchisee that sells the product. They may or may not have any one on staff that has a clue about marine audio, even though they are capable of correctly wire and bolt up the added equipment.

Most boat builders also know little about marine audio tuning. Most of the OEM Marine audio reps outline the setup and tuning for the builder, but that doesnt mean they are fallowed. Also a case in point. One builder puts a sticker over their OEM installed amps for warranty/tamper reasons. Ive peeled them off at the request of the customer to re-tune them. They should be ashamed at the settings they leave the plant with

To answer your question, you will be better served with another amp option to make the most of any HLCD tower speaker.

And just to be clear. I am not saying your system is tuned wrong, but a poor tune can cause what you are experiencing. Without seeing the setting and hearing it, I have no way of actually determining the tune, just offering some insight of what can cause distortion. Its rarely the equipment itself.
    Last edited by MLA; 08-08-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Default Mojo Tower Speakers

That's a loaded question that is strong enough to almost breakup marriages around here... but in my OPINION you CANNOT go wrong with the Wetsounds REV10.

I have a pair of these on my boat and I can hear them just fine at the end of the line. Plus they have a great sound quality range. If you're willing to spend the coin go with those. However you will need to ditch that amp because it won't have enough power for them. I have a Wetsounds Syn 4 pushing them. I bought them from David, Earmark Marine here on the board. He's an authorized dealer for Wetsounds and will take good care of you.
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

let me correct that and stir up the hornets

That's a loaded question that is strong enough to almost breakup marriages around here... but in my OPINION you CANNOT go wrong with the Exile XM9's with the Harpoon amp

let the fun begin-lol

anyone else ?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Fwiw, I ordered my 2012 xlv with the upgraded audio package, was hoping sc made the move to polks in 2012 for Moomba but no, got the Roswell r6 Phoenix gold pods. Factory installs the hu, amp and cabins, dealer does the towers,
    Once I knew what towers showed up at the dealer, I tried the credit issue, but a no go, so off they went on the classifieds and ebay, never even heard them on the tower cuz I just knew.

Exile , wetsounds, bullet and kicker all make great hlcd for riding distance ,

Check out my signature and you will see which way I went
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I have to correct my first post... Sadly... Which might be part of why the sound system is less than impressive. The tower amp is not a KXM 400.2 but rather a DX 300.2. RMS is 75w at 4 ohms so they match the speaker ratings. Pretty sad it's not even a marine amp The cabin amp is a DX 200.4... Not sure what the 6 cabin speakers are rated at but I'm assuming they're likely underpowered as well.

Guess ill be looking at new stuff during the off season...

Thanks for all of the tips by the way. I've done some toying with the HU EQ and other settings. I'd still like to adjust the gain on the amps a bit to see if they're set properly... We've just been spending all of our time enjoying the boat... Can't exactly toy with settings with a bunch of people on the boat.
    Last edited by uniwarking; 08-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    2022 Moomba Mojo