Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have seen the pics and toured boats at the boat show that make the sticker prices on our wakeboats look like a kia. $149k for a twin blown engine 28ft river boat with all the trimmings. you are a minimum of 45-50k to walk in the door of a customweld/northwest jet boat designed for big water so to say we care more due to cost is not correct(iirc, about the same as a new lsv?). we care more as a few dimples in a riverboat are no big deal. hit a rock in fiberglas and you open up a potential sinking can of worms or at the least, a stress crack that will get worse with every surf wave it crosses. we buy wakeboats that look good and personalize it for that very reason(stickers/wraps), they buy aluminum to run rivers and know it's going to get beat up. it's designed for it. I would look at the sales numbers from customweld vs moomba and challenge the mass-produced hull shape theory. fiberglas demands a hull for mass production, aluminum just needs welders with precut stringers and hulls. different boats and different production methods.

the pavati was handbuilt, no forms so that will explain some of the lower cost of production and they can customize any part of it to your liking because of that. it's a VERY high freeboard and standing in the storage locker behind the driver seat, the seatbase was at my waist-very deep storage.

I don't work for them/own one or try to plug them, but I can say being on one, it is a unique design that has a place in the market and it seems that some are ready to dismiss it because it's "different"(and have no experience on it). I did hear from some wakeboarders that saw the wake friday night before the surf contest that it was very nice(heard the word mackin used once). the surfwave from our groups opinion had a solid base and had it not been for a few issues(typical with any new production boat) it could have been one of the better in the group. it was absolutely HUGE, just not much length and the transition took a while to figure out.
    Last edited by sandm; 08-08-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    so a few thoughts.. don't understand the heats up fast comment other than the topdeck in the sun but that was not an issue on the 90deg day in sacramento the day I was on it...
    I would like to see/ride in/ride behind one. And when was that thing is Sac?!! Nobody called me! WTF!

Hell, I was probably busy at Oroville trying to figure out why my ballast pumps weren't working, Oh Well...

• Any idea of what or where that thing is going to show up for us non-industry types??
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

it was at the polar bear event sponsored by wake9 at oroville. 18 regular and 8 or 10 goofy riders sign up and ride different boards/boats for 2 days. it's a ton of fun but also a ton of work. at the end, you have to write a review of every boat/board you were on.
    last year I got lucky and got in with another surfer from Boise, but it typically fills up in a few hours. last year was awesome as shane stillman had Mike Mandleys mojo there and he and I got to surf it fri night(before mike bought it). it's a load of fun if you get a chance to get into it, but it is a commitment and believe it or not, it was work.
    mojo wasn't able to be a part of it on the weekend, but that aside, we got to surf a supreme 226, enzo 244, z3 with vx, sanger 237 and the pavati. the enzo was the only stock boat there so the waves were amazing.

if you watch the initial video on the main page, I'm in group 3 and all but 1 of our riders vid are behind the pavati boat so you can see the wake in action.

http://wake9.com/polar-bear-2012/recap.php
    Last edited by sandm; 08-09-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Looks like the same one from the 2012 Portland Boat Show?

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    I'm curious why the aluminum is more expensive to repair than fiberglass, by a factor of 5 especially.
    Karma caught me saying this ^^ I gouged my gelcoat really bad in several places this weekend.

I will be posting a DIY thread on gelcoat repair.

The repair will cost $50.

If my boat had been aluminum, the only repair option would have been bondo (or weld fill and grind), and a complete panel re-paint. ($1000 minimum).
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by NateHaskovec View Post
    Karma caught me saying this ^^ I gouged my gelcoat really bad in several places this weekend.

I will be posting a DIY thread on gelcoat repair.

The repair will cost $50.

If my boat had been aluminum, the only repair option would have been bondo (or weld fill and grind), and a complete panel re-paint. ($1000 minimum).
    That sucks! True, fiberglass is cheap for the DIY, but in all honesty probably 90% of boat owners won't attempt it. I guess my thought was that fiberglass will crack and actually require repair to be seaworthy more than aluminum, since aluminum could get scratches and minor dents without necessarily requiring repair. I can understand how a major aluminum repair would be expensive.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    That sucks! True, fiberglass is cheap for the DIY, but in all honesty probably 90% of boat owners won't attempt it. I guess my thought was that fiberglass will crack and actually require repair to be seaworthy more than aluminum, since aluminum could get scratches and minor dents without necessarily requiring repair. I can understand how a major aluminum repair would be expensive.
    When it comes to a major blow, I would choose aluminum every time. Major shots to the hull don't happen very often to inboards since we have stationary props and they normally hit first.

Gelcoat is cheap and easy to fix. Paint work is expensive. Every boat hits the dock, logs, has boarders hit boards on it, kids hitting bike handle bars etc..

These are the things that would keep me away from a hull painted with automotive paint.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

agree with the paint statement. I looked at the pavati several times and thought it would be 'spensive to repaint. nice thing about a small company are that you can do anything you like. naked aluminum with stickers just like our boats. simple, cheap to repair when it comes to stickers.
    I will say that an all aluminum wakeboat won't ever be as flashy as our gelled and stickered up boat but look at it from the aspect that you can hit the dock a lot and never have to worry about a chip growing. it would be a boat that you could run anywhere and not cringe at what's in the water/around the boat.
    there are pro's/con's to both 'glas and aluminum and each company has found a different way to skin the cat so to speak.

that pavati above was the one at the polar bear. lots of work to do with it still and that boat had WAY too many skulls on it for most over 30 but if you step back and look at the quality of the build, it was top notch.