Default Stuffing Box Packing life

So my stuffing box was leaking like crazy last year so I had the marina replace the packing. Unfortunately it is and has been leaking like crazy all this year also and right now it's only been 60 hours since the marina repacked it, now I'm going to do it myself thanks to the threads I read on this forum.

My question - how long is this stuff supposed to last before you have to repack it or even adjust it again? What about if you use the Goretex stuff does it last longer? anyone with real life time periods to share?

How often do you find yourself adjusting the stuffing box during the normal lifecycle? Every 20 hours, 50, 100?

Thanks
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

The good stuff from discount inboard marine on our old dd it lasted around 70hours before I had to touch it.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough

If the marina did it and.never put.the boat in the water then it is uncertain for them to determine how much to tighten it. I had to put mine in the water and tighten a little after they replaced it. You might try adjusting in the water. Not hard to do. There are threads on here to tell you how to do it. Fwiw.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I need to do mine too, but don't want to touch anything until the seasons almost over.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

If the install was done correctly, it should last for a long time. It is not unusual to have to tighten the nut again after a little operation of the boat. After that, it should last for at least a few hundred hours and/or several years.

If you are still having issues after the adjustment, you should look at shaft alignment, if the shaft is straight, or if the cutlass bearings are worn out. A little wiggle in the shaft will cause seals to leak, this can lead to a rear transmission seal leak if gone unchecked.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

The stuffing box needs to be tightened periodically so you may want to tighten it down some. That should reduce the flow. Replacement is needed when the stuffing box is tightened all the way and it still leaks excessively. I used graphite impregnated cord about 9 years ago and tightened the box once and that was last fall. That was before the other cords were available. The wax in the cords are susceptible to melting so if the cord was installed and tightened too much (no drip) then it can be ruined from the beginning. The nice thing about these other types of cords is they are not prone to melting so no drip no problem.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD