Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Blown Head Gaskets? Somthing else?

We have a 2011 Moomba Mobius XLV with ~120 hours on it. The boat has been running perfect until yesterday. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but when my son was emptying one of the ballast bags, the fitting came loose so instead of pumping the water out of the boat, the water went into the hull. Not realizing this, he drove the boat home (not far) and as he got close to the lift at our place, the motor starting running rough.

So tonight I pulled all the plugs, and on each side, the front two (nearest the transom) were perfect. However, the back two were wet, and not with fuel. I dis-connected the coil and turned the motor over and particularly out of the third cylender on EACH side, a bunch of what appears to be water pumped out. The last cylinder was not as bad.

We dried off the plugs, fired the motor up, and everything seemed to run pretty well. However, the check engine light was on, and as we got back to the lift, the motor started running rough again. Pulled the plugs, same thing....

My initial thought was that we either cracked a block, cylinder head, or blew a head gasket. However, it just seemed strange that it would affect the SAME cylinder on EACH side of the motor?

Next step is to take it into the dealer and prep the checkbook for a very big bill. However, I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has heard of anything similar with Indmar motors? Bad timing, we're in the NW and we're going to miss the best month of the year!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    We have a 2011 Moomba Mobius XLV with ~120 hours on it. The boat has been running perfect until yesterday. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but when my son was emptying one of the ballast bags, the fitting came loose so instead of pumping the water out of the boat, the water went into the hull. Not realizing this, he drove the boat home (not far) and as he got close to the lift at our place, the motor starting running rough.

So tonight I pulled all the plugs, and on each side, the front two (nearest the transom) were perfect. However, the back two were wet, and not with fuel. I dis-connected the coil and turned the motor over and particularly out of the third cylender on EACH side, a bunch of what appears to be water pumped out. The last cylinder was not as bad.

We dried off the plugs, fired the motor up, and everything seemed to run pretty well. However, the check engine light was on, and as we got back to the lift, the motor started running rough again. Pulled the plugs, same thing....

My initial thought was that we either cracked a block, cylinder head, or blew a head gasket. However, it just seemed strange that it would affect the SAME cylinder on EACH side of the motor?

Next step is to take it into the dealer and prep the checkbook for a very big bill. However, I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has heard of anything similar with Indmar motors? Bad timing, we're in the NW and we're going to miss the best month of the year!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Scott
    Sounds a lot like the water is coming in through the exhaust.
    Are you missing your flappers?
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

Didn't even think of that, will have to check that! Thanks for the idea...

Well, that wasn't it, both are still there. Besides, if any water did get through, it has a pretty long climb to get up into the motor. The water that did get into the engine compartment could not have gotten much more than above the oil pan. I checked the dipstick, and it does appear to have water in oil pan. So water is definitely getting into the motor, just not sure if it's a block, the heads, a head gasket, or something else?

Is there water in the oil?

Brian

Yes, there is also water in the oil pan. So water is getting into the motor, just not sure how or where from. Worried about the big things like cracked blocks, cylinder heads, or blown gaskets, but HOPING for something simpler!

When the boat is running rough and the engine light is on, what are the reading for temp and oil press? It is possible that you have a problem with your exhaust risers, allowing water back down through the exhaust. However, it sounds more engine related. Since you can pull the plugs, get a compression tester and check the compression on the cylinders. Autozone type stores rent them and harbor freight sells one cheap.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Details on warranty.

http://www.moomba.com/warranty/

This is a wild ass guess at best but after a quick look on google the intake on that thing would be my first suspect.

since it is always the same cylinders that makes it tough to be the exhaust.
    Water in oil can be explained by the water leaking by the rings. Or one of the coolant passages in the intake cracked across to a shared intake runner.

Again this is a guess based on many years of automotive experience and looking at pictures of what could be an engine like yours.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough

The easiest thing to do, if you have the tools, and the skills is to run a compression test. All the cylinders should be very close, any more than a 10% variance should be looked at. But I doubt that if you have a blown head gasket there will only be a 10% difference. If after this and you find a variance you could run a leak down test. Which is more difficult and requires another tool. The leak down test will help you figure out what is leaking. Either way water in the oil is not good and probably requires at best removal of intake first, then heads if nothing found well then keep going. If you are so inclined and just want to try, you could change the oil and see if water gets in the new oil. If you try this say a prayer first, it may help. I also find it hard to believe that there were not alarms going off if the motor overheated. A good rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10lbs/ 1,000 rpm. So i.e. 4,000 rpm should have 40lbs to be safe. So if you did indeed have 14lbs oil pressure you have some serious issues. But I would be willing to bet you mis read the gauge or faulty gauge, again you would have alarms going off. Clear as mud??

Brian