Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smoke from exhaust

Boat was driving fine today. Came back a few hours later and started it up and smoke was coming from the exhaust and it was sputtering a bit.

I talked to a neighbor and he seems to think that I need to clean my water filter or my pump is overheating or failing. I have a 98 moomba outback. Has anyone had any experience with this or can help me out with any advise to start with

Thanks guys!

Chris

When mine was puffing a lot of black smoke and not running well, it was the MAP Sensor. Sorry, don't know how to tell you how to test that except by replacing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

What color smoke? Have you changed your fuel filter anytime lately? a little more info is needed.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    What color smoke? Have you changed your fuel filter anytime lately? a little more info is needed.
    I've owned the boat for 2 months so I haven't changed the fuel filter yet. The smoke seemed mostly white with the odd black puff.

So I'm sitting on the boat and have tried a few different things. Here is a little more info.

The carb seems to be getting gas just fine. Sounds like all cylinders are running fine. When I start the boat I have to give it quite a bit of throttle to get it to fire. Once it is fired, and I ease back to an idle, the idle speed slows down until it stalls. As it slows, it starts producing more white/grey smoke. If I rev the engine it seems to run fine at a higher rmp and no smoke.

Would this be bad gas, clogged fuel filter, water in the gas?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_acid View Post
    I've owned the boat for 2 months so I haven't changed the fuel filter yet. The smoke seemed mostly white with the odd black puff.
    what have you changed to give us some info
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I haven't changed anything. I checked the oil when taking it out or a test run. Oil has been recently changed.
    Last edited by liquid_acid; 09-01-2013 at 02:01 PM.

I took the breather off of the carb and looking in while the boat was running. It seemed to me that it was dumping in too much fuel. There was a stream of fuel coming in the 2 rings at idle. A stream like if you were to run your faucet just at the point it turns from a drop to a stream.

When I give it some throttle, it hesitates then goes and stops smoking. Seems the hesitation is due to dumping too much fuel and the fuel air ratio takes a second to catch up. Once the throttle is engaged, it doesn't smoke anymore. Onc you bring it back down to neutral, it I fine for about 10-15 seconds then starts to smoke and bogg down to the point of stalling. The smoke smells like fuel. I think it's running way too rich and I might need to change the spark plugs, and adjust the fuel flow or have my carb rebuilt.

What do you guys think?

stuck floats. carb rebuild time

try tapping on the carb lightly when it's running to see if you can break them loss to get you through the weekend but more than lightly there not stuck, there being kept open by crud stuck between needle valve and float.