Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wakeboard Tower Speakers & Recommendations

I need to purchase tower speakers and amp for my boat. I have 2 questions:

1. What brand is recommended?
    2. Do you recommend going with 2 or 4 speakers?

Per http://waterski.about.com/od/marinea...r-Speakers.htm

Rockford Fosgate M282
    Wet Sounds Revolution Series
    Wakeworks Bullet Twin
    Roswell Vamp Spin Speakers

Great winter thread!

The main recommendations here are going to be Exile, Kicker and Wetsounds ( in alpha order ).

First, what are you goals? Do you want a projection speaker that allows the speakers to be heard at wakeboard range or something more for surfing and hanging out in the cove?

Do you have a budget in mind? Will you be doing the install yourself?

What boat/tower do you have? 2 or 4 speakers, for the most parts, turns into a budget and aesthetic question. There are speakers on the market these days that have the ability to accomplish your goals with only 2 hanging on the tower.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Thanks KG...

1. I would like to project so that they can be heard at WB range.
    2. 2k??? and yes
    3. OZ tower

This made me chuckle

and with a bass thump that can project to 80 feet and beyond.
    First, decide what your goals are, whether its a dedicated surf setup, dedicated wake range setup or one that does both well.

Traditional coaxials, whether its 2 pair of 6.5" or 1 or 2 pair of 8" will be a perfect surf setup. The larger driver will offer better sound quality and mid-bass extension.

An HLCD will be better for suited for a wake range setup. Smaller HLCD will certainly reach a boarder, but are really aggressive and tend to be harsh for the passengers in the boat because they lack mid-bass. Larger HLCDs offer a smoother balance between projection and mid-bass. The larger the HLCS, then better the SQ, deeper mid-bass extension. This makes them more ideal for those that want a great compromise between surf SQ and wake projection.

Once the speaker selection is made, the amp options will fall in line. Im partial to Class-D amp due to their small footprint and efficiency.

You will want to focus your search towards HLCD speakers. 3 of the 4 mentioned in the article you posted were Coaxial speakers and were also on the smaller, 6.5" side.

Popular HLCD options are: Wetsounds Rev series, Exile XM9, Kicker KM (i think), and I believe JL is now offering a HLCD option?

My recommendation: Pair of Wetsounds Rev10's (with RGB) and either a Syn4 or SD2.
    Another popular recommendation: Pair of Exile XM9 and a harpoon or XM30.2

I've been happy with my rev10s and syn4 setup. If you look Exile, I'd lean towards the XM30.2 over the harpoon. If you like the look of 4, I'd be interested to know if Sandm can hear his setup at wake range. I haven't heard the ICON series but they definitely peak my interest. I believe Exile now has a similar option as well.

You might find you want to do some work on your in boats and sub once your tower sounds great
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Thanks MLA & KG! I appreciate all your help!

Relevant, if you haven't already saved it ....

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....speaker-wiring
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote, "and I believe JL is now offering a HLCD option?"
    JL Audio is not offering an HLCD tower speaker. All future products for this season will have direct radiating (non compression-loaded, non horn) tweeters. However, the new JL Audio 8" (880) tower speaker/pod coming later this year will be a major player at wake range without being an HLCD. You're going to see REAL midbass extension from this tower speaker plus a silky smoothness in the entire response. Part of the reason that this speaker will have incredible sound quality and projection ability is due to JL's new and proprietary coated silk dome tweeter that at a true 1.25" is massive. Again, the tweeter voice coil is 1.25"! And, as a soft dome tweeter it has a very low resonance and can reach much farther down into the midrange in order to correctly bridge the gap between a larger 8-inch midbass driver and tweeter.

Anyone have any experience with: Roswell Marine audio?

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/series...dio_vamp_spin/

I'll step out for a bit after this so you can get some other opinions. I'm just trying to procrastinate as much as I can today.

For comparison sake ....

Roswell is a 6.5" and a 5.25" speaker that wants to see 60 watts RMS.
    Wetsounds is a 10" speaker that needs to see 300 watts RMS
    Exile is a 8"ish speaker that needs to see 250 watts RMS

There is simply no comparison between the group. There is no way to get near the same output. The Roswell is a small coaxial speaker and can't be expected to reach wake range. For the $1k price, there are cheaper, larger coaxials that will accept more power. If you like the "spinning" function ... the other brands offer that via their clamps.

I, personally, can't make the Roswells Vamp make sense as a good tower solution. Especially at $1k.
    2016 Moomba Mojo