Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat ballasting basics

I have recently just purchased a 2003 Moomba Outback LS with a 310 HP Indmar Assualt engine. My boat does not have any ballast system in it, but was curious if one is needed to wakeboard. I have heard about "fat saks" and other bag systems and am curious of the use. I am new to this type of boat but have 3 very active kids that want to learn and excel with this activity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

How old are the kids?

You can, and most likely should, start out wakeboarding with no ballast until they get comfortable and confident. Then you can start adding ballast as they progress.

The quickest/easiest way to do this would be to shop Wakemakers.com and use a handheld pump for filling and draining the fat sacs. Once you decide you're ready to go with dedicated "built-in" ballast, you could look into adding plumbed in pumps with thru hull fittings for filling and draining/vents and switches on the dash all wired in. If you're the handy type, many of us on the forum have installed our own ballast systems and are willing to offer up help, pictures and advice.

Also, do some searching on the Forum and you'll be able to see what other DD owners are doing for ballast. You may have better luck looking in the archives - link near the bottom of the page. The setup is different than the v-drive owners you'll come across on here.

As a forum member, there is also a discount code available through Wakemakers if you decide to go that route.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

My boys are 14, 11 and my daughter is 7. They all water ski and the boys also knee board. I appreciate the help and I will search the archives for further information. Thanks for the heads up with Wakemakers.com as well.

If you have a wake plate that will help shape the wake a bit, but to begin boarding, ballast is not required until you get the hang of it and the kids are avoiding the dreaded face plant. As berg said after that some movable ballast can be added to beef up the wake as the kids desire more air time.

I rarely fill my ballast to board, cuz I am not that good, and don't want to kill myself off a larger wake. Lol. Old guy syndrome.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default Boat ballasting basics

And don't forget people ballast!
    Weight is weight if its in proper balance!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Default Re: Boat ballasting basics

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK View Post
    And don't forget people ballast!
    Weight is weight if its in proper balance!
    Or beer ballast!

Now you're talking!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Basic wakeboarding ballast set up....SLAMMED!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Default Re: Boat ballasting basics

^ love that pic. Slammed!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I want to ride that wake. That thing is just buried!