Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We are getting way off base.
    Actually most of MikeM's comments on this subject are very accurate.
    You are not going to burn up an alternator at idle. It just does not put out enough current at idle to make much of a contribution. If the RPMs are very low the alternator can't produce enough to get over-worked regardless of what the regulation would be.
    The real danger to the alternator is when simultanously a large stereo is being played hard plus the batteries are in a deeply discharged state and the alternator is seriously loaded down at RPM. The 20 or so amps of the additional boat operations when underway are another draw that is piled on.
    If you gave the alternator a break by placing the stereo in the limp or off mode while the deeply cycled batteries are getting a recharge, you could avoid the excess stress. Although many boaters don't want to run with their big audio system shut down....ever.
    Running the batteries (even deep cycle batteries) below 12.0 volts is particularly bad for the batteries AND for the alternator.
    Alernator current ratings are for a short term duty cycle and at higher RPMs.
    It is pointless, and actually counter-productive, to have more depleted battery capacity than your charging system can effectively service....whether by the alternator, shore charger, or combination based on your individual scheme and usage.
    Another valid reason for running all Class D amplification.

David

That's one thing I do like is the javelin. That little amp works its tail off And hasn't had any problems. Class d's are the way to go
    2002 moomba möbius lsv
    exiled
    2 30.2 amplifiers
    1 javelin
    4 xm9's
    6 sx65m's
    1 xi12d

Default Alternator took a dump last night

Quote Originally Posted by N2OGTO View Post
    Got the alternator bolted up and ran a piece of 4 gauge wire from the alternator charging stud to the starter stud.

Then I wired up the pigtail for the new alternator I picked up at oriellys and put on a new gates belt.
    Ok, so my 51 amp alternator died Monday. It looks like the cs144 is going in. On the pigtail is it just three wires that go to my existing three wires? And what vehicle did you use, my parts guy didnt know what pigtail to get. Thanks.
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    ...Interstate 2400U, you can get them at Costco for about a hundo, cheaper then normal group 31s yet they last twice as long each.
    Why the two 6V batteries in series? Does it give more storage capacity?
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    Why the two 6V batteries in series? Does it give more storage capacity?
    It's to give 12v, however it does not change the capacity.
    If ran parallel it would double the amps but still be 6v.

Still hoping for some clarification on my question
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    It's to give 12v, however it does not change the capacity.
    If ran parallel it would double the amps but still be 6v.

Still hoping for some clarification on my question
    Jake, I understand the difference between running batteries in series vs. parallel an the effect on the battery system voltage. My question is why run two golf cart batteries (at 12V.) rather than a single 12V battery which is cheaper and easier to deal with.

Is it the alternator pigtail adapter that you need? Not sure of your question but this Painless P/N 30706 or Painless P/N 30707 is what we use on our cars

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    Jake, I understand the difference between running batteries in series vs. parallel an the effect on the battery system voltage. My question is why run two golf cart batteries (at 12V.) rather than a single 12V battery which is cheaper and easier to deal with.

Is it the alternator pigtail adapter that you need? Not sure of your question but this Painless P/N 30706 or Painless P/N 30707 is what we use on our cars
    Sorry, guess I missed your question.

I think he is running two 6v over two 12v. After dealing with 6v in my RV (new RV owner and had never had experience with it) I will run 6v on my next boat build for my house needs.

Rather than me dumbing it up, here is a link with some useful info.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Sorry, guess I missed your question.

I think he is running two 6v over two 12v. After dealing with 6v in my RV (new RV owner and had never had experience with it) I will run 6v on my next boat build for my house needs. As explained before, these are 6V batteries so our boats would need two (at least) for the stereo bank

Rather than me dumbing it up, here is a link with some useful info.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
    I have to admit, that is a pretty well written and informative article on batteries.

So it seems to come down to amp hours available and being able to fully discharge the batteries without limiting their service life.

Came across another article about 6V Golf Cart battery specs, which is summed up below. I only copied the 25 amp draw which seems more useful than the higher amp draw specs;

Trojan:
    T-105, 447 Min
    T-125, 488 Min
    T-145, 530 Min

Exide:
    E3600, 390 Min
    GC-5, 480 Min
    GC2-H, 525 Min

NAPA:
    NAPA 8144 (mfg. by Exide - equivalent to Exide 3600) 390 Min
    NAPA 8146 (mfg. by Exide - equivalent to Exide GC-5) 480 Min

SORRY about taking this thread off topic!!

Eric.

I had to replace the 6v batteries in my dads RV this year (which I purchased after his passing). The battery guy asked if they were from '11 or '01 from looking at the year stamp, they were obviously the originals from '01. My dad never maintained them, they would go winters hooked up without a charger or any use, often 6 months, and lasted 12 years!
    Last edited by beat taco; 08-10-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    -Jake

I was told that an alternator is designed to keep a charged battery charged. They are not designed to charge a dead battery.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar