Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Alternator took a dump last night

Well, my new system has claimed its first alternator, figured it wouldnt take long and should have upgraded it from the get go, on our other boat i put a cs144 with a smaller serpentine pulley on it, with a little bracket crafting it fit. So, does anyone know if the cs144 alternator will go on this boat, (maybe swapping the v-belt pulley on to it??)? or whats a good upgraded alternator i can get in a hurry?
    2002 moomba möbius lsv
    exiled
    2 30.2 amplifiers
    1 javelin
    4 xm9's
    6 sx65m's
    1 xi12d

79 views and not one response. Lol it's all good tho. My engineering instincts took over and now i have 150-160 amps on tap. Should the need ever arise, I can go bigger easily... But I don't see that happening. Ill post pics and junk later today!
    2002 moomba möbius lsv
    exiled
    2 30.2 amplifiers
    1 javelin
    4 xm9's
    6 sx65m's
    1 xi12d

Glad you got it fixed and have plenty of power on tap. I want to hear those 9's screaming on the river in 2 weeks.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Hell yeah, I can't wait!
    2002 moomba möbius lsv
    exiled
    2 30.2 amplifiers
    1 javelin
    4 xm9's
    6 sx65m's
    1 xi12d

Ok, so here was my problem. My alternator just couldn't keep up with the demands of the three exile amps. So, I picked up a cs144 alternator, it came with a serpentine pulley, I just took it off and put a smaller diameter v belt pulley on that I picked up locally. Tried to mount it, no dice. The bracket was too small to fit around the alternator. image.jpg
    So I took it and added some here, took some away there, image.jpg
    Then threw some paint on it image.jpg
    And bam, it fits image.jpg
    Loosely assembled both brackets before squeezing it off in its new home image.jpg
    2002 moomba möbius lsv
    exiled
    2 30.2 amplifiers
    1 javelin
    4 xm9's
    6 sx65m's
    1 xi12d

Got the alternator bolted up and ran a piece of 4 gauge wire from the alternator charging stud to the starter stud.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Then I wired up the pigtail for the new alternator I picked up at oriellys and put on a new gates belt. Then gave her a startup and she's charging like a champ. The difference in these alternators size is almost comical. image.jpg
    2002 moomba möbius lsv
    exiled
    2 30.2 amplifiers
    1 javelin
    4 xm9's
    6 sx65m's
    1 xi12d

What type/how many batteries do you run?

I have an Xi1500.1, 800.4, and Harpoon and haven't had an issue (yet). Also put the same setup in a 2013 LSV without issue, and ran it in my '08 Outback (although the '08 had a Kicker 1000.1 instead of Exile)

Maybe I'm just lucky - so far I only run 2 batteries - start is the group 24 that came with the boat, house is a deep cycle group 27 from West Marine. I get more play time than I expected out of it, but want to switch to 2 AGM 27's over the winter.

I also use an ACR to separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Outback V

A duracrap marine battery that came with the boat, then I put two Bluetop optimas in it. It was ok if you'd play it loud for a little while, turn it down, let the voltage come Back up and stabilize then turn it back up. But the 70 amps max that the old generator was putting out, it just wasn't enough. We're gonna go play on it some tonight and see how it does. Then all day tomorrow.
    2002 moomba möbius lsv
    exiled
    2 30.2 amplifiers
    1 javelin
    4 xm9's
    6 sx65m's
    1 xi12d

IDK, i think the bigger issue is your batteries might not be good enough, or your party coveing too long and then taxing the alternator.

I run one of the bigger Exile system on the forum. I run 2 golf cart batteries plus a group 27 for starting.

When your boat is running and not running your batteries should be taking the abuse of your stereo, not the alternator. The stereo beats the hell out of batteries with its current demands and the Alternator is recharging the battery only.

If you are sitting in the party cove jamming out for hours on end and then you start your boat, and continue to jam out for hours on end, then yes you will tax the alternator, and frankly i dont care how big it is, you will burn up alternators.

This is why you run a BIG battery bank on your stereo so your not taxing the alternator as much. Also you should be shore charging the batteries when ever your not in the water.

Sorry so many views and so little responses but with all the people on this forum and the stereo's they run, very few upgrade the alternators, they upgrade batteries.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, what golf cart batteries do you run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Outback V