Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Perfect Pass won't work correctly at start of each day

Howdy. I couldn't find any older thread with these symptoms, so here goes...

At the start of each boating day, my Perfect Pass will struggle to maintain a set speed. I have to give extra throttle just to make it stop complaining (the # symbol will flash as it tries and fails until I give throttle). Speed will vary up and down quickly.

This will continue for perhaps the first 20-30 minutes of use. The symptoms gradually disappear and the system is then usable for hours afterwards.

I'm going to visit my boat at the marina briefly this afternoon. I won't be putting it in the water (it's on the trailer), but I can inspect for any specific things that you forum members might point out.

I'm guessing either:

1. Slipped fastener on a cable end, or
    2. Failing cable. Being tight, but loosen-able for a while each day was a symptom that my steering cable also had before it needed replacement.

Hints? Thanks.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I think you're looking at the right spot with the cable and it may just be a loose or mis-spooled cable that is tightening/spooling properly as you use it.

It's cottage time again, so of course this must still be an issue. the string at the end of the cable is a stained a bit dark, bit appears to work fine when turning the knob manually.

The manual's diagnostics quickly point to the linkage with the throttle, but that appears to be behind the driver's side wall. Hopefully I am mistaken about this. Is there something else that I can check without tearing the boat apart? These components are not illustrated in any of the manuals.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Interesting: the hunting problem is barely present at 20-24 mph since I adjusted the speedometer down 2 mph to agree with GPS. However it is still a problem at the lower speeds that I use for beginner riders.

Default Re: Perfect Pass won't work correctly at start of each day

Did you reset the perfect pass to defaults or add remove ballast, you need to adjust the kdw settings... that or when my servo motor begins to die it starts out acting weird, too fast then to slow, or takes forever to settle in then to not engaging at all...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by parrothd; 08-04-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

No change to system. Yesterday we started noticing that, at no wake speeds and PP off, speed readings on pp go nuts occasionally. One moment it shows zero, then 60 mph. Then goes back to normal. Paddle wheel moves freely. Maybe a bad sender?

My local marina's mechanic wasn't familiar with PP, so I took it to a local Malibu dealer (not very close to my marina, but the closes inboard shop around). They recommend a full and expensive replacement of the PP system, and the replacement might not be compatible with my existing speedometer. He says that they have seen faults with replacing just one part of the system,

I can live with losing the old speedo, but I'd like to try replacing just the servo myself.

Comments? I did not find the part on skidim.com. There are so many threads on Perfect Pass issues that I cannot find one that's helpful in this case.

Default Re: Perfect Pass won't work correctly at start of each day

Why haven't you called pp?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Man, call perfect pass. Just had to order a part for mine. Overnight no less. They will tell you what's wrong
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I wish I had called PP earlier. The shops have made me wait days only to tell me that they can't fix something or that they'll want to do something I don't think is necessary. Both shops took a week to tell me that they weren't qualified to work on my trailer either. I'm just not on their short lists to get service.

I'm just not used to a manufacturer (rather than local service) being a contact point. I'll give them a try on Monday.