Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 05LSV starts then sputters and dies....

ok, so this started happening last week to me. started the boat and went for a little tour with the kids. then after being stopped for a few minutes the boat would start fine then sputter and die. it would crank over for a bit then start... take off and it would get to about 2500rpm then sputter and die. I have replaced fuel line.. checked fuel pump.. which is putting out 9lbs. changed fuel filter as well. tonight I pulled the distributer cap off amd there was corrosion. so I sprayed it with wd40 and let it sit had supper and then used emery cloth to clean the corrosion all away. put it back together and it will start and run but after about 90 seconds it sputters and dies. plugs look ok to me... I'm at a loss here. any suggestions??

thx

geoff

from Muh droid .....
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Default Re: 05LSV starts then sputters and dies....

FYI it is a carb not fuel injected...

from Muh droid .....

This happened to me. I have a 05 LSV. It turned out to be the oil pressure sensing unit. If the engine does not sense oil pressure, the engine will not get up to full speed. It will start but not run at speed.
    2014 MOJO 345 Surf - Sold
    2005 Mobius LSV, carb - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Badfoot View Post
    This happened to me. I have a 05 LSV. It turned out to be the oil pressure sensing unit. If the engine does not sense oil pressure, the engine will not get up to full speed. It will start but not run at speed.
    Seems unlikely as he says the Fuel Pump is running and is getting 9psi (which seems high). I'm thinking you have a stuck float that is not allowing fuel to refill the bowl quick enough, so the 90 seconds it's running is the time it's taking to empty whats in the bowl after it has time to slowly refill. This would suggest why you're seeing the gas pressure on the high end; restriction INTO the carb.
    Take the fuel rail of the car and check to make sure it's not blocked and then remove the bowls and check the floats and the vales in there for gum and dirt blocking it up.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Thanks Stasi... I will try that. I'm also going to change the spark plugs today as well. boat has 275 hours on it... might as well.

I'm also going to run some SEA FOAM through it today as well.

Quote Originally Posted by saskyrider View Post
    Thanks Stasi... I will try that. I'm also going to change the spark plugs today as well. boat has 275 hours on it... might as well.

I'm also going to run some SEA FOAM through it today as well.
    If there's any gum in the carbs, the Sea Foam should help....good luck!!
    2017 Moomba Craz

well nothing has worked so far... getting frustrated. today I replaced the distributor cap, plugs and put two cams of sea foam in it ( the tank was nearly full) I was only able to run it on the fake a lake tonight but same results. it will start amd run for about 90 seconds... rpm doesn't matter it can be idle or 3000 rpm it will run for a while the start to sputter and die. then with key off you need to out it in neutral and go full throttle then back to neutral... turn the key amd it fires right up and runs another 90 seconds or so. I'm thinking that I need to get it out on the lake and pour the coals to it to get the sea foam through the carb better under load... If that doesn't work its off to the dealership.....

from Muh droid .....

after it dies if you don't go full throttle and back with key off before trying to start it up it will just turn over without firing up...

from Muh droid .....

Yeah, it's definitely a fuel issue. When you crank it it neutral to full throttle, you're using the accelerator pump in the carb to give it a good squirt of gas. That's what it's running on for those 90secs.

The carb is definitely at fault, if in fact you are getting fuel from the pump. Does you fuel rail have a pressure gauge on it and that's how you said it was seeing 9psi, earlier?

Did you remove the fuel rail from the bowls and inspect as I suggested?
    2017 Moomba Craz

True, but how long is the fuel pump running? It could be running until the pressure switch takes it out. I would not rule out a faulty oil pressure switch. Check the oil pressure gauge while idling and see what it does when you throttle up and see if it drops. All of the symptoms sound the same as mine did and turned out to be the pressure switch. The pressure switch is not expensive and easy to change.
    2014 MOJO 345 Surf - Sold
    2005 Mobius LSV, carb - Sold