Default operating temp fluctuations

So my operating temp is usually 160 and doesn't move much at all. Lately when surfing as soon as I come off the throttle to idle, operating temp spikes about 15 degrees and I smell the engine running hot. After a little temperature returns to normal. All throughout surfing engine temp is stable. Week long vacation to lake Norman next week and I don't want this to be a precursor to something more serious. Any help is greatly appreciated. Surfing with 750 in locker, 400 up front, 3 people in boat with driver, stock prop.
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

Is your impeller old, do you have water strainer. When you idle down after running hot the impeller flow pressure is reduced and I believe it is normal for a temperature rise. Mine is usually 6-9 degrees. If I rev the engine in neutral the temp will drop back immediately otherwise it takes about 30 secs for it to drop back down. An increase in this spike may indicate a wearing impeller. Make sure you have a spare. A water strainer will increase the life of your impeller
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

So i replaced the impeller, checked the water strainer, tightened up any and all hoses i could find. This is still happening and I'm still seeing a lot of steam(it has a very mild odor) coming from the exhaust when were running a significant amount of weight(2250lbs surf and wake). Any other ideas
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

Check not just the water strainer, but the entire intake system. It might be clogged somewhere.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini