Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Decision

Default Tough Decision

Been recently thinking about selling my LSV. I love my boat and boating, but this is the first year I've had it out less than 10 times and know next year will be about the same. Any pros and cons for those of you who sold their boats?
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

I have yet to get out with my boat and I won't part with it. The decision to hang in there is I had orthoscopic surgery on my knee that isn't healing as fast as I thought so probably no water skiing this year. I'm single and who knows as I may find someone who enjoys boating and rejuvinate myself. The boat is into its 16th season and it doesn't depreciate much. I still do a week and a half boating vacation each year and I would miss that even without the skiing. I may be lucky to get 15 hours on it this year.

I would think you would really miss the times you go out unless you have others to ride with or another activity to get you through the summer.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I have thought a few times this year about selling it as I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it in the new home state, but haven't yet. it's a very long and tough decision. I have only put 3hrs on it this year and none skiing.
    in zabooda's case(making an assumption here) if it was paid for, selling would be an non issue and would not even think about it, but when there's payments involved, it factors more into the decision.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I have thought a few times this year about selling it as I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it in the new home state, but haven't yet. it's a very long and tough decision. I have only put 3hrs on it this year and none skiing.
    in zabooda's case(making an assumption here) if it was paid for, selling would be an non issue and would not even think about it, but when there's payments involved, it factors more into the decision.
    I got about two more years left and if I kept it I would probably pay it off next may
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

I grew up with a river in my back yard. Having a boat is part of my life and I am very passionate about it. I make a point of using my boat as much as possible each summer. I still dont get out as much as I like and even if I was only have to use the boat 1 time each year, that would be enough for me to justify keeping it. I dont want to miss on that one experience. The only time I think about selling my boat is if another one catches my eye that I would buy (hasnt happend since I got the Mojo). There are several events and opportunities that I pass up because I would rather spend time on the boat. I think the question is clear, if you are not passionate about it then sell it. You can buy another boat anytime. For me, I want my kids to grow up with the same memories and experiences that I had with a boat. I never plan to be without a boat, unless it becomes a financial burden.
    "The Boomba" '12 Mojo 345HP

Tow Rig: '08 Duramax

Default Tough Decision

Quote Originally Posted by BWeber View Post
    I grew up with a river in my back yard. Having a boat is part of my life and I am very passionate about it. I make a point of using my boat as much as possible each summer. I still dont get out as much as I like and even if I was only have to use the boat 1 time each year, that would be enough for me to justify keeping it. I dont want to miss on that one experience. The only time I think about selling my boat is if another one catches my eye that I would buy (hasnt happend since I got the Mojo). There are several events and opportunities that I pass up because I would rather spend time on the boat. I think the question is clear, if you are not passionate about it then sell it. You can buy another boat anytime. For me, I want my kids to grow up with the same memories and experiences that I had with a boat. I never plan to be without a boat, unless it becomes a financial burden.
    👆x2... My childhood/thoughts exactly
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

How old are your kids, I have a 20 month old and one on the way. Seems harder to go out the younger they are.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

For me, I want my kids to grow up with the same memories and experiences that I had with a boat. I never plan to be without a boat, unless it becomes a financial burden.
    This, definitely this.

My youngest were 3 and 4.5 when we got the boat. It's tougher to some degree when they are young, but it just keeps getting better the older they get.

This is the first year since owning the boat that I've only been out twice and it's mid July. Yes it's killing me. Last summer I had probably been out a dozen times by now. Next summer it may be 2 dozen by this time - HOPEFULLY!

For me personally, the boat is really my one and only big toy, happy place, oasis, etc. So any time is good time.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I have entertained these thoughts as well.... my wife is not a water person and my step son that just graduated high school isn't either... the only thing is my 9 year old daughter loves the water. I always loved boating and remember being young at the lake (10-15 years old) and watching other people having fun on their boats and saying that i would have one someday! Now i've got one and its paid for to.... but I'm lucky to get 50 hours on it a year... and with my new job i won't get to 50 this year for sure. I have one other option to explore though... my wife's cousin loves being on the boat with me and he treats it like i treat it... i may offer him a half share so that i get some of the cost back but still have the option to go when i want to.....

Its a very tough call...
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

I never actually think about selling mine,

Wait who am i kidding, i buy each boat with Selling it in mind all the time.

I more relate to your situation with my Motorcycle.

Honestly if its that close to being paid off, i would keep it and pay it off next May like your thinking. Dont let this summer of being too busy cause you to sell it right now. Pay it off and see how next summer goes.

Besides if your going to sell the Optimum time to sell is June, right before 4th of July catches the biggest dollars for used boats.

In America more people associate the 4th of July to boating then any other time of year.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]