Default Replacing steering cable issue

I'm replacing my steering cable and I ran into and issue/question.
    When connecting back to the rutter should I have the cable fully extended for a hard right turn?
    Also, should the rutter go to both sides equally? It goes all the way right but not far left.
    Thanks for the help.
    05 Moomba LSV

Mine turns farther one way than the other based on the steering wheel. 3 turns one way and 2 1/2 the other.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

I hooked mine back up with the cable fully retracted, just because it was a lot easier to reach that way.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Should the adjusting be done under the helm?
    05 Moomba LSV

Default Steering Cable Replace

I have a 2004 Mobius LS, and replace cable. Problem I am having is getting the engine side/nut side to pass through the opening just left of driver seat. It seems to be binding or wedging under cables or ties. It is on the bottom side from what I can see. Do I need to cut cable, and hope to feed new one thru?
    Last edited by TDK; 08-10-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Add year 2004

Quote Originally Posted by TDK View Post
    I have a 2004 Mobius LS, and replace cable. Problem I am having is getting the engine side/nut side to pass through the opening just left of driver seat. It seems to be binding or wedging under cables or ties. It is on the bottom side from what I can see. Do I need to cut cable, and hope to feed new one thru?
    Did you tie a rope to the old cable before extracting it? This helps immensely because you can tie the end of the rope to the new cable and then pull it through.

Even with this step, it got snagged on me (I only had the back floor panel off and could not remove the front one around the driver's seat). What got it through was rotating the cable. Rotating it changed the angle of approach at the leading cable end, letting it slip by whatever was blocking it.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I have a 2002 outback and had to use a car jack to lift the hull cap from the floor to get new cable through.

I, however, still have play in both directions and it is still a little tight.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated !!

Quote Originally Posted by TDK View Post
    I have a 2004 LS and have replaced my steering cable 3 times ( I ride in salt and have over 1,025 hrs lol). It is pretty tight getting the cable through the spot you speak of. Make sure the cable is retracted all the way and it also helps to wrap some duct tape around the nut at the solid part of the end of the cable. This eliminates the sharp edges on the nut catching on the way through the hole. Also make sure you have a rope tied to the end of the cable to help get the new one in. Be patient, and also try to maneuver the end getting caught over, under and beside existing hoes to find the "sweet spot". It is much easier with 2 people, one pulling at the bow of the boat while the other lifts on the rope and wiggles on the engine side.
    2004 LS with 1000 Salt Water Hours.....

You wouldn't happen to have the parts number off that cable would you? I have a 04 LS that needs the cable replaced but I can't see a part number on it anywhere.
    2004 Mobius LS Direct Drive