Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anybody Train their boat behind 5th wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I'd be curious how the hell you navigate through town and around a tight(er) right turn - you know one is going to come up sooner or later...

Also curious about sway control out on the freeway or any problems like that. Could be a wild ride with a good crosswind!

~Jstenger - how many gallons per mile did you average with your setup pulling doubles?
    Forward navigation was actually pretty easy. Because the rear of the camper would swing out on turns, the toung of the boat would go out, and the boat would follow the same track as the camper. Backing up was a bitch, but it could be done. As far as sway control goes, it depends on the length and axle placement of the second trailer. Short trailers with a centered axle sway all over, and long trailers with an axle near the rear

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Stupid smart phone. Let me continue.

Long trailers with an axle near the rear sway very little. I would average 10mpg with just the camper and 9mpg pulling my 2500 pound jet boat.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Default Tandem Time

IMG_1268.jpg

Well got my "choo choo" on this past weekend with much success. It pulled alot better than I even anticipated. It is hard to see the boat back there so I may have to get some kind of camera system rigged up for the future. I'd hate to get a flat and not be able to catch it right away. Other than that it was smooth sailing and the boat tracked extremely well.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Wow - that's pretty cool! Wish we could do that here. Would save me from having to buy another tow vehicle.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Good looking rig, how far did you go with it and did you take the interstate and side roads?
    Jim
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

Looking sweet. Going to be something you do regularly?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by jimmobius View Post
    Good looking rig, how far did you go with it and did you take the interstate and side roads?
    Jim
    Went down to Tongue River Reservior. We spend alot of time there in the summers. It's about 2 hours both interstate and then 2 lane side road through the crow reservation I keep my 40S&W close (ha ha)

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Looking sweet. Going to be something you do regularly?
    That's the plan! Alot of times we go with guests and if they can I'll make them tow the boat as part of the deal. Just makes it a bit easier but gotta tell you........It was pretty smooth and towed better than I thought it would. I wouldn't want to back up at all but if you take your time and plan things out a little one should never get in a position where you would have to.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

We did the train 'back in the day'. Dad could not see the boat so he would strap a stick with flags on the end, on the boat so he could see around the trailer. We did have one issue but he was getting inpatient and decided to pass someone..... not a good idea. Luckily he was a truck driver by profession and kept his cool. Still did the train afterward but was more patient and kept the speed down..

Did you, or should I say, 'how much' lift went onto the 5th wheel to line up with your truck? Just an axle/spring flip? Looks like she's ridin pretty tall.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    IMG_1268.jpg

Well got my "choo choo".
    Congrats on the train, thats gotta be great to take it all with you

how do you get the boat trailer hooked up?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart