Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Anybody Train their boat behind 5th wheel?

It's done all the time here in MT and legal limit is 75ft.
    I'm looking into buying a 26-28ft 5th wheel so I can still get up in the mountains but pulling 1 rig to the lake would be nice.

Only issue for me would be in a year or 2 the "new" boat will be the most expensive rig and it'll be the caboose. That's kind of a scary thought

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I didn't realize that so many States allowed it. I imagine that you would have to have a good idea of the roads you plan to use as navigation may be tricky where you may need to run a couple short trips to get the gear down to a campsite.

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Re: Anybody Train their boat behind 5th wheel?

I used to haul my 16' Sugarsand jet boat behind my 34' fifth wheel. I had an F350 crew cab with a V10 and 8' bed. The max toung weight on the hitch attached to my fifth wheel was only 300 pounds. I believe our Moomba's are over that, so you will have to check. I measured out at 68' from bumper to bumper. Here in michigan you have to carry either a commercial drivers license or get a recreational doubles endorsement on your license. You also need extra chains attaching the boat hitch to the camper frame, and you are supposed to only be 65' long.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    It's done all the time here in MT and legal limit is 75ft.
    I'm looking into buying a 26-28ft 5th wheel so I can still get up in the mountains but pulling 1 rig to the lake would be nice.

Only issue for me would be in a year or 2 the "new" boat will be the most expensive rig and it'll be the caboose. That's kind of a scary thought
    Sounds interesting. Also look into your weights, Truck, Camper, Boat all have to weigh in less then 26K
    Example my truck weighs in at 9k, boat on the trailer is 6k and then you add a 5th wheel means loaded it has to weigh less then 10K and then you have 1K left as spare room.

If the DOT ever stops you and I'm sure they would lol, they weight each axle with People in the vehicle and the fines are stupid high. Also they can ground you at the point of the infraction, and force you to have a tow truck take your boat or camper in order to make you at the legal wight limits.

When i was hauling campers in the winters i dealt with a few DOT people and i wasn't pulling triples LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

No special endorsement needed in MT. There is a local shop that specialized in trailers and they beef up the rear bumper, hitch, and wire it for the caboose trailer brakes (it's not needed with the boatmate's surge brakes) but my RZR trailer has electric brakes. They also flip axles and build shackles and I might have to have them do that since my truck is lifted just to get the clearance needed. But some newer 5th wheels come pretty high stock so we'll see!

It is alot to think about to buy, build, and get the right set-up done right! Just wondering how many other out there are (pardon the pun) "in the same boat"

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

I sure wouldnt mind it but in the long run i think we will end up with a Bed Camper and pulling the boat behind the truck still. IDK though, 5th wheels and bumper pull campers are a lot cheaper per sq ft then a bed camper
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I sure wouldnt mind it but in the long run i think we will end up with a Bed Camper and pulling the boat behind the truck still. IDK though, 5th wheels and bumper pull campers are a lot cheaper per sq ft then a bed camper
    I know, there really is no "perfect" solution. Been back and forth on Class C versus 5th wheel tandem and I just think for us it's the way to go. We travel to the lake or trails all summer long and it's a pain with 2 tow rigs. I'd go class C Diesel but they are some $$bucks and I want a new boat instead. Priorities you know And the thought of picking up camp to load and unload the boat with the class C doesn't intrigue me much.

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Default Anybody Train their boat behind 5th wheel?

I am set up to do it but I have not to date. I have a 29' 5th wheel on a short bed truck. I had the hitch custom built and installed by a mechanical welder friend (it's his business and what he does, so its a sound setup) as a backup option, if I ever need it in an emergency. We often have close friends who come on our trips and I would much rather trust one of my more 'capable' and 'trustworthy' friends tow the boat for me. I know I have the option if I absolutely have no other option...
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Right on vike! I used to train a jetski behind the boat behind the 30' class a . 71' long total, all over Montana ,Wyo , Utah. Don't think I'll do that again. If you don't have to sleep a lot of people , slide in camper works well. Matter of fact , I am still am set up that way. Problem with the long vehicle is , backing up , getting fuel, pulling into the campground, unhook , hook up to put the boat in . Also up and down the mountain passes , that is another story.. Montana not too bad , Colorado , uh takes more time. If you don't have to go too far, I guess it wouldn't be too bad, more rv and also can bring the boat! I would also consider "panic braking" it will happen , someone will pull out in front of you.
    Jim
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

I'd be curious how the hell you navigate through town and around a tight(er) right turn - you know one is going to come up sooner or later...

Also curious about sway control out on the freeway or any problems like that. Could be a wild ride with a good crosswind!

~Jstenger - how many gallons per mile did you average with your setup pulling doubles?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...