Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We actually picked up a helmet last week for our daughter. She took a fall last year where she almost hit her head on the board and momma ruled out wakeboarding until she had a helmet.

Having a properly sized helmet is probably the key to how much protection it provides.

We ended up with a Liquid Force model.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Check out this link on Braden Johnson. He was a member of the National Championship Team for TX. He was injured in a wakeboarding accident several year ago. Almost killed him.
    http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-...111308aad.html
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gabbyg88 View Post
    I know someone that hit so hard that it ripped his board off his feet and also ended up in the hospital for a concussion because he was not wearing a helmet. He now wears a helmet every time on the water.
    How do you know it was because he was not wearing a helmet?

This is an assumption not a fact.

Concussions are caused by a rapid deceleration of the head, causing the brain to change position inside the skull.

There are too many variables involved to even make an educated guess as to the protection a wakeboarder is provided by a helmet .

It seems like a helmet "should" help, but it also seems like driving a truck with the tailgate down "should" save gas.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by NateHaskovec View Post
    There are too many variables involved to even make an educated guess as to the protection a wakeboarder is provided by a helmet .
    Sorry, Nate, but I completely disagree. Helmets have been proven in many other sports and activities to help reduce the risk of concussion due to rapid deceleration (not just impact.) So assuming that wakeboarding is somehow different is the only uneducated guess in my opinion. I'm not saying everyone has to choose to wear one, but suggesting that a helmet won't help protect you?! C'mon man.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Sorry, Nate, but I completely disagree. Helmets have been proven in many other sports and activities to help reduce the risk of concussion due to rapid deceleration (not just impact.) So assuming that wakeboarding is somehow different is the only uneducated guess in my opinion. I'm not saying everyone has to choose to wear one, but suggesting that a helmet won't help protect you?! C'mon man.
    Helmets are worn in most sports as protection against skull fractures. Helmets provide some protection (not much) against solid objects when it comes to concussions (water is not a solid object).

The NFL is dealing with this problem as we speak. The reason there is no such thing as a concussion proof helmet is because it is nearly impossible to engineer one that is practical for sports.

If I get hurt wearing board shorts, and then ride for 20 years in speedos injury free, it would not be a valid argument for me to claim the speedos protected me from injury.

I am not saying a helmet won't help. I am saying there is no proof and any guess as to a helmets benefits on the water is just a guess.

My belief is the increased profile your head has with a helmet on it will increase your chances of head/neck injury while on the water.

Luckily we are all allowed to believe what want.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

Until they legislate on it and you have to comply. Notice the goal of the article was to get a helmet law passed. I don't care if they help or not or if you want to wear one or not. It think it should be up to me if I want to wear one. No more nanny state BS.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Safety Question? Just tossing it out there...............

Speaking from experience an improperly fitted or poorly designed helmet can and will do just as much damage as going without. It is my opinion that while improving the designs and technology of MOST ski,skate, wake style helmets are still subpar in the proper fit area and are only enforced in a park environment to protect the park owner not the rider. IMO the Capix and the Bern are showing the most improvement by going down lower below the base of the skull but still don't really have custom padding options to fit different shapes and head sizes.

My son has the Pro-tec 2face helmet which he wears only it at the cable because its mandatory and we have no expectation that it is providing any sort of "protection" for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Nate, if I can lessen the chance of receiving a concussion by wearing a helmet, I will take the chance and wear a helmet. I wear a helmet while wakeboarding and so will my daughter when she is old enough to ride. I have taken a few nasty falls that knocked teeth loose and folded the eye lids back and feel that the helmet saved me from concussions.
    2007 Moomba Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by Gabbyg88 View Post
    Nate, if I can lessen the chance of receiving a concussion by wearing a helmet, I will take the chance and wear a helmet. I wear a helmet while wakeboarding and so will my daughter when she is old enough to ride. I have taken a few nasty falls that knocked teeth loose and folded the eye lids back and feel that the helmet saved me from concussions.
    I'm not telling anyone not to wear a helmet. If it makes you feel safer, then it is worth the peace of mind.

I don't believe they provide any protection from concussions, but that is a personal belief. It is something that can't be proven or dis-proven.

I have also had my clock cleaned and have had some 23mph diggers and faceplants. I have never worn a helmet, and never suffered a concussion.

My 7 year old (just turned 7) decided he was gonna "go big" on Wednesday. He took a monster cut torwards the wake (seated position) popped early and took the worst imaginable faceplant. We heard the slap on the boat. I will post a video later.

When we circled around, we expected him to be crying. He was laughing and asking to see the video. We only tow him at 16.5 mph. Until he is under complete control (stops catching edges and can jump and land HS one wake consistently) I will not pull him faster.

When he starts to go for TS jumps, it will be back to 16mph.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV