Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

We started wearing a helmet for the ear protection. I read about a few ear drums being ruptured and bought a Pro-Tech helmet. No one had a problem before wearing the helmet nor since wearing the helmet. I hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
    We started wearing a helmet for the ear protection. I read about a few ear drums being ruptured and bought a Pro-Tech helmet. No one had a problem before wearing the helmet nor since wearing the helmet. I hope it stays that way.
    Yea, that's why I bought one, with the ear flaps...The cushioning or padding in the helmets is only 1/2 of hard foam(maybe less?). There's really no concussion protection in that. I think they're made to protect your head from being cut open, not preventing concussions..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Until they legislate on it and you have to comply. Notice the goal of the article was to get a helmet law passed. I don't care if they help or not or if you want to wear one or not. It think it should be up to me if I want to wear one. No more nanny state BS.
    Kane - I was not trying to get a helmet law passed at all with this thread! I simply wanted some feedback from others who board? Personally I think the stupid thing is a crutch for people who can't waterski but then again that's MY opinion and mine only!

As a Canadian and many year hockey player there is no arguement that anyone on this site can give me that says a helmet doesn't or won't help? Yes I know that concussion is the result of that sudden stop for the brain. But a helmet DOES offer some protection if it fits properly and is worn properly.

I think I seen someone write that water isn't as hard as other mediums and that can't be more wrong! I have suffered MANY an injury while skiing and know that hitting the water coming off the second wake at 65mph is lkike hitting concrete.

My point is with skiing injuries are there too...........just that the head isn't the main point of contact as it is in boarding!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

Wow. All I said was skip the map and walk the trail and I got drilled. With heads this hard, who needs a helmet. +1 has to fit, +1 more belly flop than dive, +1 Likely edge to wearing it, but I do not. 360 in the air boys do. +1 helmets def help when wake skate meets head. When working new stuff they are worn, at least we tried.
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Not your post -- the TX Longhorn story-- they are now trying to get a law passed. Why not just raise awareness and let people know their options? Not good enough. We have to FORCE people to comply. On every issue. I'm just sick of it. I board about 20 MPH. I jump wake to wake--sometimes. I have no aerials and never will. I'm getting old and have bad knees but love to ride my wakeboard. I don't want to wear a helmet. I'd probably quit wakeboarding if I had to wear one. Let's not legislate me into selling my boat cuz some TX football guy busted his head wakeboarding. Maybe he should have been wearing a helmet maybe not. But, it was his decision and it's mine too. That's all I'm saying.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

As promised, my 7 year old (just turned 7) catching the worst edge possible at 16mph.

What would a helmet do except stop his head faster or whip his neck harder.

He was laughing when we picked him up.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

Well, in fairness. That's one kind of fall, not the only kind. I'm not arguing that there's no legitimate use for a helmet. My rant is that it's not the be all and end all that's gonna save everybody from all injuries. It should be a choice and folks should be made aware.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Well, in fairness. That's one kind of fall, not the only kind. I'm not arguing that there's no legitimate use for a helmet. My rant is that it's not the be all and end all that's gonna save everybody from all injuries. It should be a choice and folks should be made aware.
    I fully agree.

My point is that saying someone's kids are unsafe without a helmet is nothing more than an assumption.

There are risks with anything we do. I just don't like someone telling me that I am being irresponsible for not using a piece of safety gear that IMO could worsen an injury.

If my boys were to encounter a log, or a dock I know a helmet would help. Hitting the water... I just don't buy it. I believe it could do more harm than good.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV