Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I live in Dora Al. Smith lake is my home lake

Default Has anyone have experience with these products

2013 LSV
    2006 outback DD sold
    2004 Stingray 180LX sold

David

I think you would be disappointed with those speakers on the tower. Contact Brian at Exile before you pop for that stuff.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I live in Dora Al. Smith lake is my home lake

What would be a decent 2 speaker setup for the OZ tower on the 13 LSV, it comes with 6 cabin speakers, sub and amp. I would like to add 2 speakers and amp for the tower, something that wouldn't break the bank
    2013 LSV
    2006 outback DD sold
    2004 Stingray 180LX sold

David

Depends on what you want - if you surf you probably want a tower speaker that uses a woofer and traditional tweeter. If you want something you can hear wakeboarding you want an HLCD, which is a speaker that has a woofer and horn driver.

Either way, Id reach out to Brian at Exile Audio - they are having a warehouse sale right now too, might be able to get some great deals!

Here are a pair of Exile XM9s on a 2013 LSV that I installed for my buddy;
    Last edited by ian ashton; 07-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    2013 Outback V

Unless you're 5ft tall I'd pass on the hanging combo bar setup. Every one I've seen sits LOW - headbanger for sure.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I had that same setup minus the lighting on my supra. spend some extra money for aftermarket speakers from one of the audio companies. much better quality and won't make your tower feel so heavy. I'm guessing that setup weighed north of 50lbs and with lights on it, berg is right.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

If you are solely interested in two speaker setups, I'd definitely stay with a larger driver, 8" and up. Like Ian mentioned, you may have a decision to make between traditional and HLCD.

As far as "break the bank", that's relative. You will have to balance current budget with future plans ... there are a lot of guys on here that have bought tower speakers more than once, myself included ... and most wish they had just gone the more expensive route the first time.

Popular options
    HLCD: Exile xm9, Wetsounds Rev10, Wetsounds Rev8
    Traditional: Wetsounds Icon8 , JL M770
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Conventional car door speakers are not going to give you the performance you want in a tower application. First of all, they are infinite baffle by design (intended for an expansive door or trunk) and not intended for 1/10th to 1/7th of a cu.ft. which is the most you get from a tower pod. Also, two 8-inch speakers edge out four 6.5" speakers in surface area...and surface area determines output.
    For a great choice in a surf range speaker (including at rest behind the boat), two of the best sounding speakers is a Wetsounds Icon8 or a JL Audio M770 'T' series (specifically intended for a small pod and has outstanding midbass). Either fits well in the outside corners and snugs up tight to the tower.
    For wake range, look at one pair of Wetsounds Rev8 or Rev10 HLCDs. These are tops when it comes to sound quality and build quality. The larger Wetsounds Rev10 is one of the few tower speakers with a midbass cone larger than an 8-inch. So one pair of 10"s is nearly the equivalent in output of four 8"s.

David

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    ...As far as "break the bank", that's relative. You will have to balance current budget with future plans ... there are a lot of guys on here that have bought tower speakers more than once, myself included ... and most wish they had just gone the more expensive route the first time...
    Totally agreed, on my '02 I used DIYs cans with the Kenwood 6.5s, 6 more in-boats with a 12" W6 sub. I loved the way that system sounded, BUT!! my new boat just got loaded up with WS XS-650s and four Icon 8s on the tower and even an old fart like myself (half deaf from shotguns, skill saws, loud wife etc) can hear the difference.

Figure out if where you want to hear your speakers from, and then go with the WSs or Exiles for the towers now, then in the future if you want to change/upgrade the others you can.
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

I have halogen lights. 3 back and two front. There worthless.