Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for general info - advice

Guys,

Just signed up as I just started considering a purchase of a Moomba for the family cottage.

I am on a budget and want a DD boat. So considering early 2000s Outbacks or I believe the Mobius was essentially the same back then (but with tower etc).

Let me know any issues I should look for in a used Moomba of that vintage.

Is there any wood in any of these boats that I should be aware of? Thanks.

Welcome to the site!

I'm a former Moomba owner and still love to hang out on this site. There is a ton of GREAT people here who are more than willing to help you out! Even me if I can?

We just sold our 2006 Outback DD this spring. It had some options that some of the earlier models didn't. What are you looking for in a boat and what activities do you want to do mostly?

The fact you want a DD tells me you're more inclined to do a lot more slalom skiing than anything else? Our boat came with a small ballast bag when we bought it and teh first thing I did when I got home was remove the bag and put it up in the rafters of the garage. Where it stayed until we sold the boat I might add. My point with this comment is if you want to wakeboard and even try some entry level surfing it can be done with the newer Outbacks. I'm not sure when Moomba started putting that sac in the back under the seat?

Budget is budget and everyone has one. Tell us what you want to use your boat for and you will get lots of replies here!

Good luck finding what you want and need? You will also probably have people showing you Craigs List links and trying to help you find a boat too!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

I live in Dora Al. Smith lake is my home lake

I have a nice 2006 outback back with great sound system perfect pass only 275 hrs.also has great interior only reason thinking of selling is to swap to a v drive
    2013 LSV
    2006 outback DD sold
    2004 Stingray 180LX sold

David

Quote Originally Posted by iwaterskihard View Post
    Welcome to the site!

I'm a former Moomba owner and still love to hang out on this site. There is a ton of GREAT people here who are more than willing to help you out! Even me if I can?

We just sold our 2006 Outback DD this spring. It had some options that some of the earlier models didn't. What are you looking for in a boat and what activities do you want to do mostly?

The fact you want a DD tells me you're more inclined to do a lot more slalom skiing than anything else? Our boat came with a small ballast bag when we bought it and teh first thing I did when I got home was remove the bag and put it up in the rafters of the garage. Where it stayed until we sold the boat I might add. My point with this comment is if you want to wakeboard and even try some entry level surfing it can be done with the newer Outbacks. I'm not sure when Moomba started putting that sac in the back under the seat?

Budget is budget and everyone has one. Tell us what you want to use your boat for and you will get lots of replies here!

Good luck finding what you want and need? You will also probably have people showing you Craigs List links and trying to help you find a boat too!
    Thanks for the response.

Some history about me and the intended use of the boat.

I am "old" LOL. Back in the late 1980s (just as wakeboarding was being invented) I was a member of a local water ski club in Southern Ontario. I used to ski 5 days a week and even taught kids for a while. I mainly focused on slalom and really enjoyed it. I was never that great but got to where I could run into 28 off.

Ended up going away to school, moved, ski club closed, interest changed etc. I wake boarded once in the ocean on my honeymoon 12 years ago. LOL

I have a really nice teal green and hot pink Connelly Concept that I haven't touched in probably 15 years! LOL.

Now I am married with a couple kids (5 and 7) and now howe a cottage on a small land locked lake in cottage country north of Toronto Ontario.

So I need a boat. The question is what type and then what brand/model.

As I said it is a smallish lake where we will never "spend the day" on the boat. It will be used for watersports and the odd cruise around. Gear can be left on the dock.

Given the age of my kids I am looking for something that is an open bow just for the increased functionality and ability to haul my kids and their friends etc. Given my history I am partial to a DD ski boat and "think" it will be a better tow boat for skiing (obviously), be able to grow with my kids, and be able capable of introducing them to wakeboarding etc for quite a few years before I ever have to worry about them out growing it. Plus it will allow Daddy to recapture my former glory (after I teach my wife how to drive it!).

So just trying to educate myself on the options currently available since the last towboat I had any experience with was the club's late 80's MC Prostar 190.

I just think an early 2000s relatively low hours, cherry DD open bow boat is a vastly better option that will grow with us over the standard 18 foot I/O Bowrider 3.0L that every other cottager buys as their first boat.

I welcome all opinions and advice. Please let me know if I am all wet!

Cheers.

RR

I agree that an inboard will allow your family to enjoy watersports to a much greater degree than an I/O. However, I believe that a V-drive will better suit your needs.

Why?

1) doesn't sound like you're a die-hard slalom guy anymore and that slalom isn't the sole focus for the boat.
    2) V-drives offer more interior room - kids will soon ask for friends to come along. 2 families of 4 in a DD is crowded.
    3) while you can certainly wakeboard, surf, tube behind a DD it's easier, IMO, to set up a V-drive for those activities

Good luck with the search!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I agree that an inboard will allow your family to enjoy watersports to a much greater degree than an I/O. However, I believe that a V-drive will better suit your needs.

Why?

1) doesn't sound like you're a die-hard slalom guy anymore and that slalom isn't the sole focus for the boat.
    2) V-drives offer more interior room - kids will soon ask for friends to come along. 2 families of 4 in a DD is crowded.
    3) while you can certainly wakeboard, surf, tube behind a DD it's easier, IMO, to set up a V-drive for those activities

Good luck with the search!
    Thanks for the comments.

Like I said the lake is small - only about 300 acres in total. So the room in the boat while pulling isn't that big of a concern. They can sit on the dock and wave! LOL.

Given I have little experience with wakeboarding and don't think I will get into surfing the slalom wake is still fairly important to me.

Not sure which trade off is more important. My kids are small so it will be years before they even come close to the capability of either option.

Didn't you say 5 and 7? There are some early riders seen on here, younger than yours if I'm not mistaken.

Glad to hear you're ruling out the I/O. But come on now, who wants to watch from the dock?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

you will find yourself surfing. all us old farts are doing it as it's so much easier on the body.

and the young ones are doing it, too. my son is 5 and we're teaching him to surf this season. he loves it!

the current women's wakesurfing world champion was 10 last fall when she brought home the hardware.

go get a V-drive.

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    But come on now, who wants to watch from the dock?
    the guy that is sitting on the beer cooler that won't fit in a DD!

ill sell ya my 04 outback DD just under 400 hours haha i want to upgrade to an XLV, it seems like more and more people want to go out on the boat, im a nice guy so i hate saying no to people ( they do pay for the gas in the boat). granted if i get the XLV ill swap the system i have now into it and put the system from the xlv into the outback
    Last edited by motosno963; 07-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)