Default High Pitch Squeal In Gear - Dripless seal dry?

The curse continues - or maybe not if I'm lucky.

After dewinterizing, I get the boat fired up without issue. Water is pumping, everything looks good, warms right up. I gently ease it into gear and that's when it starts. High pitched squeal coming from the engine/tranny. I go into neutral, it stops. Into reverse - same high pitch squeal above the typical reverse humming tranny sound.

So I pop back into neutral and go back to inspect. Everything looks, feels fine. Good pressure, tempt. No leaks, nothing unconnected. Nothing low on fluid. Nothing hot. So I put it in gear and let it idle for about a min or so and it finally just stops squealing all of a sudden and seems normal. Quiet in and out of gear.

My suspicion is that the dripless seal was dry? Can't imagine the v-drive making that kind of noise.

I checked and the seal is getting water through the feed tube going to it. I don't see any water in the bilge.

Little nervous it may have torn and I'll have a steady leak once I drop the boat in the river/lake though...

???
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Buehler? Buehler? Anyone.....

Default Re: High Pitch Squeal In Gear - Dripless seal dry?

Water coming out from the seal outside?

PWI as usual...

Too hard to tell with the fake-a-lake blasting water all over the place underneath. I don't have the fancy hose connection like you do. Yes I should - No I don't.

at this point i'd say you are correct, dry rubber. my answer is subject to change when its not correct
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

There is your problem. Running the boat in gear on dry land. The lake water lubricates your strut bushing, with the shaft turning and the strut being dry you will get all kinds of weird noise. This is why you have the button to disengage your transmission for throttling up on land

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Hopefully that's all it is. First year with the dripless seal. It was just installed last summer at the start of my season.

Every other start of the season before I have fired it up on the fake-a-lake, went into gear in the driveway, no issues, noises, etc.

+ 2 for the dry cutlass bearing
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug