Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It cost me $450.00 two years ago. That is axle, brake lines and painted. Did the work myself. Call Jerry at Boatmate.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

That's actually less than i was thinking. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Easy to change or do I need to be mechanically talented to do it?
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

Default Trailer riding low

I'd say moderate mechanical knowledge and tools required...

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    UNIQUE FUNCTIONAL PRODUCTS
    SERVICE BULLETIN

Subject: Replacement of torsion axle.
    Application: Torsion axle trailers.
    Condition: Rubber suspension element failure allowing trailer tire to contact
    fender.

Tools Required: Air wrench; torque wrench; Ύ” socket (for lug nuts); 15/16”
    socket and wrench (for axle trailing arm and axle mounting bolts); 3/8” flair
    wrench (for brake lines); floor jack; jack stands.
    If any trailer tire has significantly less fender clearance when compared to the
    other trailer tire(s), axle will have to be replaced.

To Remove Axle:
    Step 1: Jack up trailer and set on jack stands such that the tires and wheels and
    the defective trailer axle can be removed.
    Step 2: Remove tires and wheels, setting aside the lug nuts, which will be reused.
    Step 3: Remove 5/8” bolt and nut from each axle trailing arm using the 15/16”
    socket and wrench. The bolt must be completely removed. Slide the trailing arm
    off of the splined axle shaft. (Note: If the trailing arm is hard to remove, insert a
    wedge, such as a screwdriver, into the slot of the trailing arm to spread it open
    for easier removal).
    Step 4: Carefully hang the trailing arm from the trailer frame using a wire tie or
    rope. Be careful to not stress the brake line or brake hose.
    Step 5: Remove the (4) 5/8” bolts and nuts that attach the axle to the trailer frame
    using the 15/16” socket and wrench. Slide axle down to clear trailer frame
    brackets and remove.

To Replace Axle:
    Step 1: Install axle and bolt into the trailer frame brackets. (Note: The axle
    mounting bracket is not centered over the square axle tube. The long part of the
    mounting bracket should be facing toward the rear of the trailer). Torque the (4)
    5/8” bolts and nuts to 150 ft.-lbs.
    Step 2: On BoatMate ski boat trailers, there are only two trailing arm positions
    used. The only axle that is set to 24 (+/- 2) degrees below horizontal will be a
    single axle that has a 15” wheel and five lugs. All other single axles (14” 5-lug
    and 15” 6-lug) and all tandem axles are set to 18 (+/-2) degrees below horizontal.
    Each spline on the shaft moves the trailing arm angle by 6 degrees. If an angle
    finder is available, make certain the top of the axle tube is level and position the
    trailing arm to the correct angle as shown in photo.
    On BoatMate runabout trailers, there is only one trailing arm position regardless
    of axle. This angle is 30 (+/-2) degrees below horizontal. Again, each spline on
    the shaft moves the trailing arm angle by 6 degrees.
    If angle finder is not available, position trailing arm horizontally then move down
    the correct number of splines. Move three splines for the 18 degree setting, four
    splines for the 24 degree setting and 5 splines for the 30 degree setting..
    Slide the trailing arm onto the shaft. . (Note: If you are having trouble installing
    the trailing arm, insert a wedge, such as a screwdriver, into the slot of the trailing
    arm to spread it open for easier installation). Bolt the trailing arms to the splined
    shafts using the 5/8”x 3-1/2” long bolt, washer and nylock nut. Torque bolts and
    nuts to 150 ft.-lbs.
    Step 3: (For brake axle only) Re-attach brake lines and bleed trailer brakes. This
    may not be necessary if the instructions from step for in the Removal section
    have been followed.
    Step 4: Re-install wheels and tires. (Note: If equipped, care should be taken not
    to damage the wheel plastic hub insert). Hand torque lug nuts to 95 ft.-lbs. using
    the every other bolt method.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

If I can do it, anybody can do it. Do you have air and an impact? Helps a lot. Get an angle finder. They are cheap. I took the angle off the good side but Jerry at Boatmate will tell you the angle in the write-up that he will send you. I think this whole axle deal is a bunch of crap if you ask me. To many folks have had to do this. Took me a couple of evenings by myself. Helps to have one other person to help. It can be hard to get the trailing arm off the splines of the axle but use a pry bar and a hammer with a piece of wood to hit against..
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

One Challenge/note... if you are in a hurry.. you may want it shipped unpainted... As they have to wait to get it in the paint line up..
    I had them ship mine unpainted.. had everything ready when it got there on a Friday.. prepped it, primed it and had it ready to install on Saturday.. I primed it 2x.. then painted it a few coats of Rust Oleum..
    As far as Angle finder, no kidding.. I used an IPHONE Compass app.. it has an angle finder in it.
    let me know if you have any questions when you do it.
    A couple of suggested needs:
    1 floor jack... 4 jack stands.. or something to support the trailer in four locations..

Hardest part.. to me.. getting the splines off and back on....
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

One thing I have noticed is everyone keeps saying the bolt on is a 15/16. It is more like an 1inch and 1/2. I tryed an 1in and 3/8 with it being too small.

Also one thing you need to make sure you have is the VIN number and Axle number before you call. The Axle number is on a plate on the Axle almost in the middle facing down so you will have to get under the boat to see it. It starts with an A and mine has 6 digits after the A.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

So I got the parts ordered, but I didn't have them painted. Wanted the boat back on the water ASAP. Looking for an opinion. The boat and trailer is at a local dealer on their flatbed. Thinking of doing the work myself to save some $. Is it a dick move to ask the guy to bring my boat back to my house and do the work or should I just let him do it?
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

I have the same exact issue. I have a 2008 outback DD on single axle boatmate. Its been about a half inch off the fender for some time but I don't know exactly how long. Damn these trailers.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

My tandem trailer has had a longitudinal (along its length) shimmy since 2009 and now one side is a least 1/2" lower than the other. I probably have the same issue. Dang it.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

When......... I get my Axle in I will post a full how to replace since this sounds like a growing issue. It sounds like 5 years is the mark of replacement.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill