Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

seen some craiziness myself. best one in a while was one certain holiday there was a BU filled with a bunch of young punks and about 6 boats waiting in water to load up their boats. A lady with her small child was tied up to the dock while her husband was getting his truck/trailer. the young punks in the BU passed the 6 of us in line, bumped the ladies boat at the dock, as one of the kids jumped onto her boat and onto the dock. Then while we are still waiting her comes the truck and malibu trailer down the ramp, cutting off 2 other boats and backs in the ramp so the bu can load. long story short, the kids were hanging out drinking beer in the parking lot at the top of the launch site and when the police arrived, (saving the punks from an arse whooping from the husband of the lady whose boat got boarded) they conducted FST's on the boat occupants and made two arrests and towed the truck/BU
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Alright, I'm coming clean. I was nearly one of these idiots and almost had my own story to tell.

Our first boat was a 1988 Chaparral 187XL. Great little boat that I paid a whopping $3,500 for. The guy who I bought it from had totally redone the boat and the mechanics that I took it to always said how great it looked. Sure, she had some bumps and bruises, but the girls named that boat Marygold and we look at pics of her with fond memories.

So, as the wife and I get ready to pull the old gal out for the first winter, we're nervous. Neither of us had been around boats much, didn't really know what we were doing with backing the trailer, etc. Heck, we had let the trailer roll into the back of her SUV earlier that summer b/c we forgot to block the wheels.

The big moment arrives and we stay at the lake late on Sunday so nobody is around to see our foolishness. She drives her SUV w/ trailer to the ramp, while I motor over in Marygold on a beautiful fall day in Central GA. The water is glass, the leaves have turned wonderful colors of red, yellow and auburn. It's majestic out. I tie the boat to the courtesy dock and hop in the SUV and a short 43 minutes later, I believe that I have the trailer properly positioned in the water.

A quick jump back into Marygold, she fires right up and I deftly, almost expertly, navigate her on to the trailer. Using my cat-like moves, I crawl from the bow of the boat to the trailer, hook and winch her up tight and scale along the side of the SUV to triumphantly retrieve my prize from the water and get her preserved for the winter. As I begin to extract boat and trailer from the water, the SUV tires seem to lose their steely grip on the ramp. I panic - slightly - and punch the accelerator. SUV, trailer and boat explode from the water. My wife, my daughters and I leap from the SUV and begin to give high 5's as a huge cheer shatters the silence in recognition of our victory.

A second glance and I notice the oddity. The trailer isn't sitting quite right. No, it's the boat that isn't sitting quite right. What is it, I ponder. Then, I recognize what the issue is. The boat is no longer resting its bow on the front roller and the winch strap is stretched some 4 ft from the bow hook to the crank! The winch lock didn't engage when I cranked her up and Marygold is now teetering on the end of the trailer bunks and visions of the strap snapping and Marygold plunging to the concrete below explode in my head. How will I ever lift my precious back onto the trailer if this is her fate?!?!?

I allowed the panic to consume me for just moments, but it seemed like hours. I then devise a plan to rescue Marygold. I throw my wife and kids into the bow of the boat and begin to crank on that winch with every fiber of my body. It's a painful process and the exertion causes beads of sweat and blood vessels to pop on my forehead. My plan is working and then it's not. I have not the strength to get Marygold where she needs to be and resting safe.

Another dunk in the lake is what will cure this, I decide. Again, after a short few dozen minutes, I have Marygold back into the water. She floats right up to where she needs to be with some easy cranks, I ensure that the crank lock is set this time and then we celebrated again, with a little less vigor, on the ramp again.

Wonderful family memories are priceless!

Awesome last two storys
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I think there are only 3 reasons I don't have a story like that...at least not yet anyway!

1. Devine intervention!

2. My father and grandfather, who have a ton of boating experience between them, came out with us the first half dozen times. Nothing like learning from wisdom rather than experiences.

3. The knowledge learned from this site. I really appreciate that everyone shares their knowledge/experiences good and bad. It has helped from making serious errors many times.

My biggest worry is complacency or arrogance my part.
    2012 Mojo
    2009 LS (SOLD!!!)
    2010 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax 4X4

Love the stories. Well told Drew!

A few summers ago we pulled in to a busy dock right at dusk, they dropped me so I could walk up to retrieve the truck and trailer. On my way up the top of the ramp I am about to pass by a really nice new black Chaparral sitting on the trailer behind a really nice new black Escalade all blinged out that just came out. As I get closer I notice the sound of the engine running as the wife is sitting inside the boat apparently waiting for instructions from her husband. Based on the look of every thing they had appearing brand new with tags still hanging off it I figured they were newbs and maybe a little nervous. So I very politely waved to to the woman and told her she should turn off the engine right away. She smiled and did. Said "oh thank you." So clearly - newbie.

When passing the Escalade I mentioned to the guy that he had a nice setup, and a word of advice that you should kill the engine before pulling the boat out of the water, figuring they had no clue they could burn it up otherwise. (I highly doubt it was a closed cooling system)

Sort of expecting a similar friendly response from him, instead he throws down his sunglasses and hat, slams the door so hard I swear I jumped back, and then he belts out "GOD......AMITT! I told her to shut it off! MOTHER BLEEPIN BLEEPIN..." and goes stomping back to the boat and starts yelling at her.

I almost went back to defend her but thought better of it. Couldn't tell if he was drunk or not and didn't take the time to find out.

Still curious how long they had been sitting there out of the water with the engine running.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Boat Ramp Crazyness!

This weekend someone parked their truck and trailer diagonally across the area just in front of the ramp that you use to pull up so you can back down.

And I say parked as in engine off, doors locked, no one around. Made backing the boat down a little trickier than usual.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Default Boat Ramp Crazyness!

I was at canyon lake, don't blame me, lol.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    This weekend someone parked their truck and trailer diagonally across the area just in front of the ramp that you use to pull up so you can back down.

And I say parked as in engine off, doors locked, no one around. Made backing the boat down a little trickier than usual.
    That's when you wish you had a big ole diesel and a piece of heavy chain.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I literally no longer enjoy boating because I cannot stand the idiots at the boat landing...every time we launch there is an idiot at the landing which ruins my whole f-ing day..I know I need to chill out...before I even get to the landing I am irritated. Seriously I am contemplating selling our boat, I just can't take the stress anymore.

I need help..

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    I literally no longer enjoy boating because I cannot stand the idiots at the boat landing...every time we launch there is an idiot at the landing which ruins my whole f-ing day..I know I need to chill out...before I even get to the landing I am irritated. Seriously I am contemplating selling our boat, I just can't take the stress anymore.

I need help..
    I get to the launch before the idiots do. I know they have to have their lunch at noon and their dinner at 6PM so I usually get out on the water at 11:30 AM and come back around 7PM. Pretty quiet and uneventful. I also try to go to the crappiest launch as it is too complicated for idiots to launch from. Without a dock, they are clueless.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD