Default IBS plus Hard Tank. Possible solution.

When adding an IBS to a soft center bag vent, the installation is very simple. Install a check valve on the vent, and both bags will completely empty and suck flat.

When installing an IBS off of the hard tank vent, this set up will still suck the IBS flat but the center tank can not. So you end up with water left in the hard tank and your ballast pump may cavitate once the vacuum builds up in the hard tank.

I think someone on here used a spring check valve as a vacuum breaker to overcome this, but I can't remember who.

I was thinking earlier that if a company makes a plastic diaphragm check valve, surely someone makes a vacuum breaker as well. I found one here. http://www.plastomatic.com/vbl.html

I am going to try one added to a front sac teed off of the vent line. This should allow the IBS to be sucked flat and allow just enough air in to avoid a deep vacuum being drawn on the center tank.

If it works, I will talk to Wakemakers about this simple fix, and let you guys know.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-PVC-Plas...#ht_279wt_1151

Nevermind.

I just found out the 1/2" breakers retail for $124 at most suppliers.

I snagged one I found on Ebay for $32 shipped so I can try it out, but I am sure the Ebay auction will end before I can test it out.

I plan on testing one of these as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Val...ht_1208wt_1151

It may not look as nice, but it should perform the same function. I was very interested in the Plastimatic one since it will allow 2 in Mercury before allowing air in. This should be perfect for sucking an IBS flat, and then opening to allow pumping down the hard tank.

If you already have the IBS and are looking for a fix, I would jump on the Ebay auction I posted for the plastomatic valve. I all but guarantee it will fix the hard tank problem. (I deal with fluid systems a lot.)
    Last edited by NateHaskovec; 06-26-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

I'm adding an ibs to my Mondo this weekend but haven't bought a check valve due to this very reason. Did this breaker end up letting the ibs suck flat and the hard tank fully drain?

Default IBS plus Hard Tank. Possible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfahlsi View Post
    I'm adding an ibs to my Mondo this weekend but haven't bought a check valve due to this very reason. Did this breaker end up letting the ibs suck flat and the hard tank fully drain?
    DO NOT add any checkvalves of any kind to an IBS hard tank combination.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Thanks for the feedback. I will just tie in the IBS how I had originally planned, and see how well the IBS drains. I was contemplating running a wye fitting from the hard tank vent to both legs of the IBS to allow both legs to fully drain. However, I'm not sure how much I would really gain for the extra effort.