Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Handle

Default Surf Handle

I guess I never put 2+2 together to figure out why surf handles are so much smaller than a standard ski/wake handle. I can see the possibility of getting an arm caught in a large handle, but I would imagine it would come out of the handle much easier than if it went through a small surf handle, at that point I think it would be harder to get out and cause even more damage than a large handle. I don't surf much and I'm still using a cut down ski handle when I do and wondering if this is really that common of occurrence? I saw the nasty link to they guys arm who found out the hard way what happens when things go bad and it got me wondering....

Without question a knotted rope would solve all of those problems, and I'm curious if those are tricky to use on deep water starts?
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

Default Surf Handle

my surf rope/handle isn't much bigger than my hand is wide so I don't see my arm ever getting stuck. worst thing I see happening is when the kids take the slack out of rope they sometimes let it hang low or start to wrap slack around elbow area.

Sent from this thing called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

I have a T handle rope and another thick braided one I made with an old ski handle - I prefer the ski handle. Before I made the thick braided rope I once made the mistake of coiling the thinner portion of rope up in my hand as I got slack.

Dumped it with the rope still in my hand it it somehow it half-hitched itself around my middle finger. I squeezed my fist as tight as I could to hold on but I could feel it getting ready to go as I began to drag. Luckily my buddy driving was watching closely and immediately jammed it in reverse. I don't even like to think about what would have happened otherwise. My hand was sore clear up into my wrist for a few weeks after that.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I don't use anything but a small T handle on a very heavy braided rope. You can get a concussion sitting in the boat when they throw it back in though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I liked the original rope I had with foam balls knotted into a rope. it worked great, but I have not been able to find one decently priced so went to the traditional surf handle rope. I would like to get one of the t-bar handles for my next rope. I have only tried once with a wakeboard rope and in one of the falls, I felt it trying to hook my arm. never again.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Re: Surf Handle

Why do you need or want a handle? A real surf rope is extra thick to hold on too. no need for the handle..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by parrothd; 06-26-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

sometimes it's easier to train noobs with a handle of some sort..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

We have had all 3, the issue i found with the plain rope with knots is it takes a lot more hand <grip> strength to get up and when you try to teach new people they seem to have a hard time with this. Also after a day od wake boarding and such your hands are getting tired and this just adds to that when surfing.

Had the T handle also and it is easier then the plain rope to get up, but like mentioned its pretty dangerous when being tossed in the boat and hitting people with it. Also somehow a few times people got hit in the face with it when falling and surfing.

The mini surf handle has become the favorite, and it doesn't hurt as much if ti hits you, people can use both hands to hold on when getting pulled up, and even after sever days in a row on the water and your getting exhausted you can still hold it long enough to get up.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

have the Tee handle and mini surf handle. prefer the mini surf handle over the Tee handle for ease of use, just feels more natural to use
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Ive got a knotted one for sale if you want to try it out. We use these all the time, and we use them for deep water starts as well. Cant hurt to try for this price if youre just curious.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....Sale-Surf-Rope
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD