Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Importing a boat from the US into Ontario

The selection of previously enjoyed Moomba boats in Ontario sucks (guess everyone is hanging on to their boats). Does anyone have any ideas on the charges and process to import a used boat from the US into Canada?

As far as I can tell, I just need to pay the sales tax on the Cdn equilivant purchase price. Also need to have the trailer re-certified along with some documenation from the trailer manufacturer. Is there anything else? Are there any registration fees? What about any requirements from the US side including state sales tax and export taxes. The only link that I found is:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

If anyone has ever done this, let me know how it went????

Default Replying to Topic 'Importing a boat from the US into Ontario

Best think you can do from what I understand is wait until the ice breaks and call the dealership (Muskoka Lakes Marine in Ontario) ask for Morgan he says that when all the trade ins happen! people upgrading... until then I guess it isnt as top of mind for people.. then again I havent thought about anything else except my boat since the 2nd week of October..lol

That would be my advice.. beyond that Im not sure I did a google search but there doesnt seem to be any real specifics!
    2005 Moomba Outback

Try searching the newsgroup can.rec.boating. This topic comes up a lot.

http://groups.google.ca/group/can.re...scoring=d&

Ian
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I have purchased a 05 Outback from dealer in Fargo ND, planning on picking it up in February.Live in Saskatoon so I can hopefully give you some advice after pick up boat.But as far as getting boat across border you pay 209$ to get the boat and trailer across a fee you pay at customs,you need a letter from trailer manufacture to show no defects or recall.You pay gst on boat and trailer,WE pay pst only on trailer when you go to register it in provice, and yes I was told the trailer needs inspection once it is in province.
    Like I said until I bring boat and trailer back I will let you know how things go crossing the border.FREYSE

I purchased a 2004 Outback last year thru a private sale. It is no big deal to bring a boat into Canada. At Customs they will require a few things from you. Firstly, they will want to see your Bill of Sale, it is a very good idea to separate your boat and trailer., as this will be easier when it comes to registrating your trailer for a license. Secondly, your will be required to produce a clear title showing no liens on the boat and trailer. If it is a dealer sale, they will provide you with one automatically. But for a private sale, mention to the seller to have one done so that you may have the paperwork to cross back into Canada. Thirdly, they will check to see that your trailer's serial number matches Bill of sale, etc, and you will have to pay GST based on Canadian dollar value on the sale price of the boat/trailer. I was than issued with my Saskatchewan Boat registration number (number placed on boat) in Saskatchewan it was free. I was than given a 1-800 number to call once I was home to set up the Canadian registration for the trailer. Once back in Regina, Saskatchewan I called the 1-800 number used a credit card to cover the charge of $180.00 ( this is for regisration fees and also covers the cost of the checker (Canadian Tire does them for Transport Canada). I then called Skier's Choice and had them fax me a letter that stated that their was no recalls on my trailer. This is needed when you go for your vehicle license check for your trailer. Booked an appointment with CT, and went thru the 2 min check with my boat. When you license your trailer they will charge you PST on it, and this is why it is a very good idea to separate your boat and trailer's Bill of sales. Hopefully this is helpful to all Canadians, bringing a boat back into Canada.

Thanks for all of the great information everyone - definately appreciate it. Now just need the warmer weather to hit so that the boats start to come out of storage...

Dido on how pmann said it. However, in some provinces you will also have to pay the provincial sales tax on the boat as well as the GST. (This applies to new and used boats). I have imported one of each and it is the same routine.

Hey Pat, I will see you this summer up at Clear Lake. We will have have a mini owners reunion!

Aubrey

Hey Aubrey,
    Please look me up, I own The Peachtree in Clear Lake. Maybe we can get together for a few tows this summer.
    Pat

Hey Pat, I wasn't sure if you would know who I was when I wrote in. I called to you in November about the Outbacks. I bought the one I was telling you about at that time. (we have a cottage at Ditch Lake). I will definately come up to the park this summer with the boat. Maybe I'll call you first to see when you are going to be out on the water.

p.s. I still have my 1994 Supra La Brisa. If you know anyone looking for a great deal on a good wakeboard boat let them know. (obviously I am very motivated to sell; my family & friends keep reminding me that we do not need 2 ski boats)

Marlon

Hey Marlon,
    I thought that it may be you. Great to hear that you are getting the Outback. What color is it? If I hear of anyone looking @ the lake for a boat, I will pass on the information. How much time do you actually spend during the summer @ the lake? We definitely will get together this summer. See you soon.
    Pat