Default Hey slalom folks...

I want to get my wife a nice ski for her birthday. It's not until October, so I'm actually ahead of schedule this year!

Little background...she will be 39 and has slalomed since she was a little girl. We have an LSV, and in the past 5 to 10 years we don't ski all that much, mostly surf now. However, usually at the end of the day she will throw on the ski and slalom back to the dock. She currently hates our ski; it's a cheap combo set from Academy and she said it's horrible. She also refuses to buy a good ski because she doesn't think she uses it enough to warrant one. So I'm going to make the decision for her!

So here is where I need help. She's 5'2" and about 100lbs. Shoe size is about a 6. Where should I look and what am I looking for? Please give me some recommendations. With the amount of use it will get, I'm hoping to stay in the $250 range, but don't mind spending more if necessary. Thanks so much!
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

Default Hey slalom folks...

Hey Taft, if you want to try Lisa's you are welcome too. She's got a P6 from Radar that she loves. It's a recreational ski but handles great. We bought hers at M2 in town, but they are pricey. I bought one for myself from:

http://www.marine-products.com/radar...-bindings.html

We are going to Canyon for a few days on Monday but are always ready to head down to the SBR. If y'all want to drive down the street and go with us she can try it out. We can play it quiet and just happen to have it in the boat if you are working this as a surprise.

Ron
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

We should definitely go to the SBR together sometime. I could probably walk to your house, and truth be told I need to walk to get rid of this spare tire! And yes, it will be a surprise if I can somehow not screw it up like I usually do.

We were on Canyon last Saturday and had a great time. It's so much better surfing in deep water; that's my only gripe about the SBR. You can really tell a difference in the wave when it's deep.
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

My wife skis on a Connelly FX. It is a shaped ski, which allows it to carve/turn with less effort. It is also wider than a comp or rec ski, which makes getting up on it much easier. I have skied on it and it's fun. If I got used to it, I could take a run through the course. It can do a lot.

I'm sure that everyone makes a shaped ski that isn't the huge "fat boy" ski that is really a wakeboard in disguise. Check Overtons/Barts.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

You have some time. The sales start in Aug. You'll be in good shape.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

x2 @ maxpower220
    My wife hasn't been on ski's in over 20 years. She was a teen the last time she got up. I bought her a pair of double ski's on CL for her to get used to. She got up every time so she wanted to transition to slalom.

She bought herself a Connelly Pilot, bigger than the FX I think. But the pilot got her reacquainted with skiing. She loves the stability and raves about this skis. She tried several HO's and other brands but likes this one the best. . for now. When she starts carving it up I'm sure she'll want to upgrade. But for her the importance was to build the confidence and fun factor of skiing again. Just my two cents anyway.

I would recommend looking at many of the watertoy websites out there ,then search a few of the major brands and do a little reading. You can then decide ,what size and shape etc, Price ranges and or features. At this price and skill level there are not gonna be that many big differences. You should be able to find a Nice skiable ski for your wife....

Another thing to look at might be clearance and or Blemish skis ,giving you further discounts .Lots of variety and choices not to mention places to look.

I personally like Overtons, Adrenaline sports, Barts to just mention a few. these are a few easy to use for Canadians as not all like or want to ship up to us....
    Good luck and happy hunting.
    07 Outback DD

My wife just bought a Connelly Pilot 63" with S/M boots. It has a great fit and a rear toe plate. she absolutely raves about this ski.

The ski is plenty wide which helps with her deep water starts. She hated trying to drop one ski, never could get the balance right.

She skied for a summer when she was a teen and when we got our boat I pulled her up on two ski's but she really wanted to learn to slalom. This ski fit the bill for now. She'll likely upgrade in a year but its a good started ski to keep it fun, get the interest for slalom skiing or just gaining confidence.

Just my two cents.

JY,
    Apex, NC
    Supra 21V

ski-it-again.com

There are many good ski's out there. What your going to find hard to do is get her good bindings in the used market with feet that small. I know because I am currently seeking a ski for my daughter in the same size range.

Look for a ski in 63-64" range.

I'm thinking I will find my daughter a good ski and then get her a set of Whiley's bindings for the ski.

Good ski's aren't cheap and really you should consider how much she is going to ride it and what she wants to get out of it? My bet is if you get her a good ski that she can handle, ride hard and challenge herself..............you'll see her wanting to ride it more!!!!

Good luck!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!