Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A heel-side wake jump recipe

Here's my recipe for a HS wake jump; not that I'm perfect at it or anything, but hopefully it will be of use to someone else.

• The set up
      • Coast in the trough of the wake (on the toeside side of the wake)
      • Climb the wake slightly, and then edge out hard on your toeside edge with proper, tall body position. You should edge out harder on your toe side than you anticipate using on the inward, heelside swing.
      • Begin your coast with a flat board. Drop your rear hand (for regular footed riders, this is your right hand)
      • Settle into a seated position; concentrate on putting half of your weight on the front foot, half on the rear foot.
      • Continue to coast until the boat starts to pull you inward naturally.
    • The edge in, from the flats to the bottom of the trough
      • Once the boat starts to pull you in naturally, just go with it. Don't turn sharply.
      • you want a progressive edge inward, such that the pressure underneath your board (you can feel this because the line tightens up) increases gradually, with the highest pressure happening as you hit the top of the wake.
      • Your entire progressive edge, from beginning to end, should be in a seated position.
      • Your weight should still be distributed 50/50 through the entire progressive edge*
    • The takeoff
      • Edge all the way through the wake, which maintains the pressure under the board. Flattening your board during the takeoff "phase" will lose the pressure underneath the board which means no lift when you leave the wake.
      • Start standing against your edge, meaning away from the boat at an angle, at the bottom of the wake. It helps to look at the bottom of the wake consciously as you are edge in, so that you know when to start extending your legs into the standing position. And again, you're standing against your edge, because you don't want to lose your edge during the takeoff.
      • As you are standing, anticipate landing on the same edge; don't try to land on a flat board. This anticipation is another small thing that helps you stand against your edge, instead of flattening your board as you stand.
      • Continue to extend into a standing position until you lock out the knee of your back leg (the right one for regular footed riders) at the top of the wake, which means you are fully stood up by then. The goal is to make yourself stiff so that the pressure underneath the board tosses up your entire body, without your legs or waist absorbing that pop.
      • At the moment of take-off, pull the handle toward your waist very slightly; about one inch. This helps with stability.**
      • As a beginner, don't try to "jump" off of the wake. Just stand tall and make sure that your knees are locked at or before you reach the top of the wake. Think what happens on a trampoline, if you are falling toward it; all you have to do is stay stiff, and the trampoline will bounce you back up.
      • Once you are comfortable with the standing motion, you can try standing with more leg push so that you go higher. Going back to the trampoline example, instead of just staying stiff when you hit it, you can push off of it at just the right time, and it will pop you higher than if you just stayed stiff.

* depending on your wake shape and other factors, you might have to distribute your weight a little to the back foot or a little to the front. But it should still be close to 50/50.
    ** I've been advised that this is bad advice; that the rider will do this naturally without trying. Since it gets done somehow, I'll leave this item here, but if you're really trying to pull the handle in, be aware that you might be pulling yourself off-balance if you are pulling too much.
    Last edited by dhyams; 06-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

I'm guessing there's something missing from above post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

I don't know what you mean?
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by dhyams View Post
    I don't know what you mean?
    Unless I'm missing something that was the first post in the thread. I was looking for the "recipe" or a link to something discussing the thread topic. No big deal just seemed like something was missing in the post.

Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Hmmm the recipe is all there in the first post. Can you not see it? It's a bulleted list of things.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by dhyams View Post
    Here's my recipe for a HS wake jump; not that I'm perfect at it or anything, but hopefully it will be of use to someone else.

This is the only thing that shows up on my tapatalk. I now see the rest of your post when I quote your post. I think using all the extra brackets and asterisks doesn't work on the app so it hides the information cuz it doesn't know what to do.

Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Gotta love the ole Iphone.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Pretty good list of advice. One part of the HS W2W jump that I struggled with a lot in the past is the 50/50 weight distribution. I thought I had my weight evenly distributed, but I really didn't. One of my buddies told me to put more weight on my front foot, so I consciously did, and holy smokes what a difference it made.

So, if you think you are at putting even weigh on both feet and not getting good pop, then you probably have too much weigh on the back foot.

One sure way to recognize the too-much-weight-on-back-foot situation is to watch the board as it pops off of the wake. If the nose goes high (like the rider is popping a wheelie), or of the entire rider rotates toward their rear side, too much weight on the back foot.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

This is great info to accomplish a standard "dead sailor" wake jump. Right in line with learnwake and the book which is exactly how my son started. With that said, a lot of riders transition to using different edges as they progress and begin to add their own style with various grabs and pokes. Some coaches are now teaching that to achieve max "pop" to flatten off while going up the wake while keeping stiff legs. This will transition your energy from pulling against the boat (edging) as well as up, to straight up and floating with the travel of the boat giving you more time in the air or from the contest perspective "amplitude".

I guess that's basically a round about way to say your edge creates your speed or side to side motion and your stiff legs create the up motion. If your stiff legs are not perpendicular to the water you will not achieve maximum pop no matter how much edge you take to the wake.

Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450