Default WS420 tuning question with bluetooth

I'm not super-knowledgeable in the audio world, but I do love a great sounding system, so hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question. My dealer installed my entire system a couple of years ago, including a WS420, and it has sounded really good, but I have always had the "hiss". After reading through the WS420 tuning instructions on the WS site, they had the gains on my amps way too high, almost maxed out...

Typically, I play my iphone directly through the aux on the EQ, but I want to take advantage of the mute button on my remote, so I bought a bluetooth puck to plug into the aux of my HU. I never listen to CD's anymore, but I tuned today using a CD as the WS420 manual suggests. Doing this worked great, and the gains on my amps are way lower, and no more "hiss", and the sound is fantastic.

However, using the same setting with the bluetooth puck and my iphone, it's not nearly as loud. I can crank the volume all the way, and it's not loud enough. Is this expected just due to the quality of the connection? Or should the volume (not necessarily the quality) be the same as a CD?

Since I never listen to CDs, should I be tuning the gains based on my bluetooth connection, and bypass tuning with a CD?
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

You are tuned correctly, the lack of volume is a result of streaming BT. Its such a low quality signal. First thing I would do is check to see if your head-unit has an AUX sensitivity adjustment. If it does, make sure its at at least half way up or better. Too high and you may notice a drop in sound quality, too low and the output is low as you are experiencing.

Thanks. So if I'm set on using an iPhone, is the best method to plug into the HU's aux with a connection from the charging port of the phone? Not ideal since I'd have to keep the phone in the glove box but if that's the best quality then it's worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

In terms of sound quality and signal strength, BT is the lowest, 3.5MM head-phone is next up. Using the MP3's data port to RCA is a little better, btu not quite as good as USB or data port.

My current cruddy HU doesn't have data or USB port, but it has a connection on the back for a CD changer. If I get a cable that connects the iPhone data port to the CD changer port, where does this fall in the quality order listed above? Hoping not to change my HU if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

An iphone/ipod has a weak output period. The headset out isn't particularly clean and is intended for an earbud or headset with a much lower impedance than a head unit or EQ RCA or 3.5mm input. The preout coming from the multipin port is much cleaner but still very low in voltage. Then you have the loss from the Bluetooth module as decribed by Mike.
    Try a JL Audio 2-channel line driver between the Bluetooth module output and the HU Aux input. It has a gain control that you can place anywhere without extending the signal path.

David