Default Trailer hubs are extremely hot after a short tow?

I have a 2006 Boatmate single axle trailer with the 'Reliable' oil bath hubs. I'm somewhat new to these types of hubs and the maintenance required for them. I drive about 8 miles from my driveway to the lake and in that time my hubs become extremely hot. I keep the hubs full of 50 weight and haven't noticed any leaking or loss of oil. From what I understand these hubs are supposed to be fairly maintenance free as long as you keep the oil full, however the temp of the hubs has me a little worried that the bearings are going bad. My question is 3 fold:

1) Is it normal for these hubs to run hot or are they like grease bearings and this would be a sign of failing bearings?
    2) If the bearings do need replaced, what is the process for rebuilding these types of hubs?
    3) Is this a DIY job or would I be better off having the pros handle it?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have rebuilt several grease hubs in the past, I just have no experience with oil hubs and couldn't really find a good answer to these questions. If anyone has a good run down on how to service these things I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Chris
    2006 Moomba Outback V (Yellow)
    -Indmar 310
    -gravity 1 ballast
    -Liquid Audio tower speakers/ 2 12" JL subs / 6 Kenwood interior speakers/ Clarion amp

Quote Originally Posted by eirichct View Post
    I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have rebuilt several grease hubs in the past,
    Thanks,
    Chris
    I've done a few of these. Piece of cake. Biggest thing you might need is special tool to possibly replace the race ways, unless the spindle is bad. Then it's a whole different ball game.

First thing, raise the trailer and try to spin the wheel to see if they're binding. If so you've got brake issues.

Go to the ufp site and there should be documents on most of what you'll need.

1. As there are brakes on these hubs, they will run a little warm if you're driving in the city. But they shouldn't be running "hot".
    2. If the bearings need to be replaced you probably need to replace the raceways too. I've done this and with that special tool to insert the new raceways it's an easy job.
    3. I'm a DIY, so I would say you can do it. Worse case scenario, if the hubs are off and you find that you're over your head you can bring the hubs to a pro, as opposed as the whole trailer,

p.s. My father in law is a retired big rig mechanic. I asked him about the oil filled hub and he told me that when they changed from grease filled to oil bath 90 percent of their hub maintenance disappeared.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

i just noticed this with my trailer too. i have a 20 mile tow to lake with some hills. my drivers side seems to be worse then other side. both sides the same for you?
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

gus, I've noticed that both sides seem to be the same temp.

Ron,

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll just pull the bearings and the races out and replace them just to be on the safe side.

Chris
    2006 Moomba Outback V (Yellow)
    -Indmar 310
    -gravity 1 ballast
    -Liquid Audio tower speakers/ 2 12" JL subs / 6 Kenwood interior speakers/ Clarion amp