Default Moomba Kamberra 00' & Surfing

Last night we finally got a pair of fat sacs set up in our Moomba Kamberra. Each weighs 260, fully filled. I put one back in the engine compartment, and one over in the walkway. I then loaded the surf side with everyone in the boat, estimated 450 lbs.

Now since unfortunately, I don't own the boat (my dad does), I can't do whatever I feel like to it. I was planning on trying to get 1,200-1,400 lbs of water in there. However he was against that due to the extra stress on the motor. Initially, I was frustrated, but decided to go with the 520 lbs regardless.

When we got going, the wake kept washing out, and the motor did not sound the best. Tried to get the driver to go a little faster to generate a wake, but..... the engine overheated and died on us.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Any suggestions on what to do to prevent this with a 00' Kamberra? Has anyone ever experienced issues with the swim platform creating extra drag or washing out the wake? Any advice is appreciated.

When was the last time the impeller was replaced? Or thermostat? Also curious how many hours on the boat. I'd start there for the overheating concern.

Our hulls are similar and when I started out, even running the stock prop, I was running an 1100 in the rear compartment and a 750 in the center basement with 5-6 people. Yes, the engine struggled more with the stock prop but it would still push us and didn't overheat.

What I've learned through trial and error is that this particular hull likes a lot of weight and a lot of lean. Don't forget about weighting the front as well or you'll have a steep, short wave that washes out very easy. I started out with 250lb hard tanks (stock), went to 400lb bags, then pretty quickly made the jump to 1100's. More is better - period.

Yes the platform drags just a little but not enough to really impact the overall wave. Just throws up a rooster tail so the face of the wave may not be perfectly clean.

My "sweet spot" regardless of the amount of ballast seems to be between 10.5-11mph on the regular side.

Also, are you throttling by hand or do you have PerfectPass?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Yep, without some good weight up front you'll have a mini-ramp on these hulls. I have an LS and found that I can get a pretty decent wave with the following setup:
    IBS under cushions full (650lb bag, but I can't completely fill it do to the confined space it's it, so my estimate is about 550lb)
    Ski-locker bag full (370lb)
    400lb on top of ski locker full
    400lb on back seat and against the starboard (right) side full
    Hard tank under seat full (400)
    750lb bag on starboard side of motor full.

So about 2900lb in bag ballast alone.
    This with 3 adults and a few kids works good. It just gets better with more people, but I distribute more adults to the right rear of the boat on the sun pad and then 1 or 2 up front on the right side of the bow seats.
    Like berg said you need a lot of weight and a lot of lean. The downside is that with our hulls the nose will run VERY low when you are not running, so be careful when you come off throttle. We take bow waves pretty regular if we aren't careful when turning the boat around.
    If you run a ton of rear weight only it will be very hard on the motor as it will be trying to drive the boat up and out rather than forward. Granted, you don't get on plane, but you need to try and get the bow down as much as you can once your running, and NO adjusting the wakeplate to get it down doesn't help. It just flattens the wave because you get to much lift in the tail which counteracts the weight. I always have the wakeplate all the way up.
    With only 3 adults I need to be doing about 9.5mph (speedo) to be able to get aenough push to go ropeless. With say 6 adults I can go up to 10.5mph. I am 205lb and ride a LF 5'3" Fish. I need a fast board. I also have a Ronix Koal and just cannot get enough speed out of it, plus it's squirrely as shit. Only good thing about that board for me is that it's more forgiving if you start to pearl the nose. The Fish, if you bury the nose is almost impossible to stop from submarining.

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    When was the last time the impeller was replaced? Or thermostat? Also curious how many hours on the boat. I'd start there for the overheating concern.

Our hulls are similar and when I started out, even running the stock prop, I was running an 1100 in the rear compartment and a 750 in the center basement with 5-6 people. Yes, the engine struggled more with the stock prop but it would still push us and didn't overheat.

What I've learned through trial and error is that this particular hull likes a lot of weight and a lot of lean. Don't forget about weighting the front as well or you'll have a steep, short wave that washes out very easy. I started out with 250lb hard tanks (stock), went to 400lb bags, then pretty quickly made the jump to 1100's. More is better - period.

Yes the platform drags just a little but not enough to really impact the overall wave. Just throws up a rooster tail so the face of the wave may not be perfectly clean.

My "sweet spot" regardless of the amount of ballast seems to be between 10.5-11mph on the regular side.

Also, are you throttling by hand or do you have PerfectPass?
    Last edited by Stazi; 07-19-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Hard to believe 520 would put much extra stress on the drivetrain. I originally put two 1100's in my rear lockers and a 650 bow sac. It wasn't enough (of coarse i only fill the surf side locker). I added another 650 in the bow walkway, 750 on the rear floor area pushed to the surf side, and if I don't have people to put on the surf side I put another 400 on the seat. I am actually getting a decent wave now!

You need a new prop.
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    You need a new prop.
    I'm guessing this too....My bet is he has some sort of hi-speed prop spec'd out for slalom or barefooting.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Hard to believe 520 would put much extra stress on the drivetrain. I originally put two 1100's in my rear lockers and a 650 bow sac. It wasn't enough (of coarse i only fill the surf side locker). I added another 650 in the bow walkway, 750 on the rear floor area pushed to the surf side, and if I don't have people to put on the surf side I put another 400 on the seat. I am actually getting a decent wave now!
    How far off the water is the rub rail at rest?
    If I fill the 1100 surf, 750 basement, 2- 400's on the surf side floor and seat and 5-6 people with a few upfront I can almost make it touch.

Tempting to get more and experiment but now I don't wanna go and crush my pretty new vinyl...

Last weekend it was touching. We bumped the speed up a little to clean up the wave and it was the best yet. I have a nice padded moving blanket I keep in the boat to put the 400 on.
    -Jake

Plus throwing ballast up on the seat makes the cooler inaccessible - can't have that! (Yes I believe I'm the only one who still has the built-in cooler but mine actually works!)

My best setup so far has been surf side 1100 full as it will go, the 750 in the basement (basically like your walkway) with a 400 right in front of it creeping up under/into the playpen storage. 400 on the floor IN FRONT of the cooler. Then everyone can sit on that side and just let their legs rest on top of the bag and 1-3 sit up front.

You're right, I think we had to run 11+ with that much weight.

HEY - aren't you supposed to be in/on Shasta right now?

Leaving at 5:00am.
    -Jake