Default torsion axle failure

i think i have fallen victim to the torsion axle failure. 5 years 3 months since new, so we are 3 months out of warranty. bummer. boatmate jerry gave great help in getting the parts, but im out of warranty. I'm trying to get in contact with UFP per Jerry's direction, but we will see.

now i hope i can wrench well enough to make the change. have boating plans so i had to get it unpainted and will paint it in place after the install.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

I feel your pain. I went through it. I have past posts on here about it in March or April of 2011. Jerry will give you all the directions to do it.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    I'm trying to get in contact with UFP per Jerry's direction, but we will see.
    I've dealt with them a couple of times in the last year. They're very helpful. That being said, the last time I needed something a few weeks ago they referred me to someone else as they were very busy and I needed some minor parts. I got what I needed no problem.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

how did you know it was going out or what gave way?
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

i initially ordered a replacement from boatmate, but later in the day, UFP called me back and said they would warranty both axles, i just pay for shipping. big thanks to both boatmate for their help and cancelling my order, and to UFP for offering the short warranty extension.

i will have to paint the axles before i put them on, so that is not so good. i will also learn about brake lines and bleeding brakes and stuf. something i have always wanted to do. haha. but a couple years ago the brake calipers froze up and i had to pay to have someone else do stuff. maybe now i can do it myself.

i have seen the other posts in the past that people had axle problems, so that has helped me with this so far.

for you gus, how did i know it was going or or what gave way? hind sight is pretty good and i can identify a couple things that happened.

my tow to the lake is about 4 miles so not lots of towing. a couple months ago, a friend said that a tire was low. it was early in the season and the temperatures fluctuate from freezing to 80's, we were on a slight incline, trailer was turned slightly behind the truck, i checked the pressure, tire was fine, we decided the above factors made it look low.

on the recent tow to the lake, the brakes got pretty hot. i thought the brakes may have been hanging up again. the next trip, the back tire would skid and lock up when we would slow down. when i looked at it, the tire was rubbing the fender and was out of normal position in the fender. the trailing arm on the axle had rotated and the brake calipers and other stuff was bearing against the fender.

when the boat was off the trailer, that wheel was off the ground about 5 inches.

so that is how we decided the torsion axle had failed.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Yep. I had to remove the fender well to get home. Barely made it doing that. The tire and (weldment, torsion suspension) was still moving on the way home. You don't have much time or miles to get it home.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Our axle failure was pretty easy to see one night this time last year. My son was in the boat while it was on the trailer locking things down before trailering to our vacation destination...one solid week at a lake house with dock. While he was in the boat it shifted. We both thought it probably wasn't on the trailer bunks exactly right and just shifted...wrong. When we went to pull out of storage we heard a tire dragging through the gravel. Discovered one of our tires was up in the fender and wouldn't roll.

Long story but the short version is most of the family drove on to the lake house while my son and I took a chance and drove to Knoxville on a Sunday night and burned some Hilton points at the airport Hilton hotel. We got an early start Monday morning hoping Boatmate could help us out. Jerry and Boatmate were awesome!! They worked with us so we could pick up an unpainted axle in the Burb and haul it back to boat and storage same day. Sanded it and primed it back at storage and paid to have old axle removed and new primered one installed. Monday evening we headed out to meet the fam at the lake house with boat in tow. On the lake Tuesday thanks to Jerry and Boatmate going above and beyond.

Not covered under warranty and do have a bad taste in my mouth for UFP but as others have said, the Boatmate group is great!
    2006 Mobius LSV
    "Walkin on Water"

Default torsion axle failure

Put one on my 06 lsv, right as I was selling it! Ugh. I did un painted too because I was time limited.
    Rough sand and scrub real good. Degrease
    I primed and put several coasts of paint on.
    Brake lines were easier than I expected.

I did it by myself so getting new axle on was challenge but doable.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I had an extra set of strong hands to help me, and air tools. its not the end of the world, its just a hassle. I "bled" my brakes, and then took them to a trailer guy and had him do it as I didn't "bleed" them and it wasn't going to be the next problem in line because I saved $25.

good luck
    06 Mobius LS